First Infection?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeLoveBeer

Reaction score
Just went to finally keg my belgian blonde aften 8 weeks on the go and discovered this:
gallery_15564_716_25846.jpg

I'm going to go out on a limb and say its infected, but can some of you guru's please let me know what you think either way? Its been in secondary for 4 weeks now (of which 10 days has been at 3 degrees) so any yeast should have well and truly dropped out.

you should really taste it, you can taste them trust me, you will know straight away :icon_vomit:

After 8 weeks you would feel like its lacto tasting you. No worries, if its still drinkable just siphon it out or skim the fur and bottle.

my only infection so far has been Lacto bacillus and it tasted sour, tart, lemony.
made the beer taste thin and sour, basically.

Jaysus! That is a scary pic.

Definitely unwanted growth ontop - I would suspect your FG would be dropping with this beast eating any remaining sugars in the beer.

Have you checked the FG now compared to end of primary?

Chill down a portion then sample - but I would be tentative to bottle it if it turns out to be a dud.

You could keg it if tasting ok, then gas it then drink it asap...

Jaysus! That is a scary pic.

Definitely unwanted growth ontop - I would suspect your FG would be dropping with this beast eating any remaining sugars in the beer.

Have you checked the FG now compared to end of primary?

Great idea Raven.

Chill down a portion then sample - but I would be tentative to bottle it if it turns out to be a dud.

You could keg it if tasting ok, then gas it then drink it asap...

Tastes okay, but there is definately something subtle there in the background. The worst thing is that this was brewed as a comp beer (but thats obviously out the window now). Reckon it'll go into a keg tomorrow, be forced carbed and then tested before working out whether to wipe the slate clean and start again.

Absolutely gutted because 4 weeks ago this brew was by far the best beer I'd produced.

I still get nervous with beers prior to getting them into a keg too! Bloody infections!

Lets hope it comes up ok - I would rack it to the keg from underneath leaving that top layer behind.

I still get nervous with beers prior to getting them into a keg too! Bloody infections!

Lets hope it comes up ok - I would rack it to the keg from underneath leaving that top layer behind.

Luckily I still use a tap for transfering from the fermenter, so I should be able to leave the crud behind fairly easily. Should make an ideal sample for the first BJCP study group in Feb :D

It looks like the one I asked for help with here.

The general consensus was wild yeast infection.

It looks like the one I asked for help with here.

The general consensus was wild yeast infection.

Thanks Bizier... reckon thats the same beast (definately have the nail polish remover traces). Tipping 8 weeks of work down the sink this evening :(

did you rack to secondary ?
8 weeks seem a long time, I normally, like to have the keg finished in 8 week :)

did you rack to secondary ?
8 weeks seem a long time, I normally, like to have the keg finished in 8 week :)

4 weeks in primary, 4 weeks in secondary... if I were doing it all again (which I will be in a couple of days), I'd skip the secondary all together and move it straight to a keg for conditioning. The worst thing is that it tasted beautiful from the primary, but I was chasing that extra 2% (as I said, I was brewing it for comps) and pushed it too far.

Its the first time I've used a secondary in a while, and it'll be the last time...

I had a lager on the cake for 4 or so weeks at ~4C. I've never racked to secondary. Do you keep it at ferment temps, or cold condition temps?

You probably picked something up while you were transferring.

Latest posts

Back