first hop and extract brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jongylary

Reaction score
hey guys,
just doing up a brew using extract and hops for the first time- silly question but i have do i remove the hops from the brew after flame out or do i add them to the FV and let them ferment with the liquid love to further scent it? or do i remove the stocking before it bitters it all to much?

sorry if this seems like a ridiculous stupid question :)

Regards
Jongylary

DU99 said:
have to remove before placing fermenter..
Really? I generally don't. The whole boil goes straight into the fermenter then topped up with cold water to 21L. They settle to the bottom before kegging time.

Read it closer Manson81. They're in a stocking/hop bag. No chance of them settling into the trub ;)

Nah, it's fine to bag your hops mate, not an issue. I personally wouldn't add it to the fermenter.

thanks for the advise guys

well it went into the fv in the end ;) kinda didn't want to fish it out after it went in - didn't want to infect the brew - i will be putting into a secondary fermentation cube is that when i should dry hop? or should i do that in the next 3-4 days?

I tip the whole lot into the FV stocking and all. My last four brews are the only ones that I paid any real notice to see if they sink and the answer is yes, can not explain why but the majority say no.

slcmorro said:
Read it closer Manson81. They're in a stocking/hop bag. No chance of them settling into the trub ;)
Ahhh sorry, missed that part mate!

well its with sad regret i have to blog my first ever infection, i'm just trying to work out where and how it happened which is the annoying part.
i sanatised everything in and out every where, i'm wondering if it has anything with the flu i had 2 days later, mYBE I LEFT SOMETHING TO GERMINATE.

but shit happends time to try again.

moving house with a huge shed and great water supply so i hope to be reporting atleast 30 brews this year.

maybe even save up for some ag equipment to kick start next year :)

happens sometimes, even when you go nuts and sanitise "everything". you could have been unlucky and some bacteria/wil yeast or whatever got into your FV between enptying out the sanitiser and filling it up with beer. Sometimes you are just plain unlucky.

On the past topic you raised, If the hops were in a stocking/bag in the kettle, i would remove them before adding to the FV. reason being is when it sinks, you are gonna have an object sitting proud of the yeast cake, allowing yeast to settle on top of it. The top of this bag may be above the level on your outlet tap, meaning that when you go to drain your FV into a bottling bucket/bottle you may be drawing liquid over that bag of hops with flocculated yeast on it. Doing this may increase the amount of yeast you get into your bottling bucket/bottle which means more cloudy beer.

This may or may not be an issue for you depending on the beer style or your personal preference. I personally wouldn't get too hung up on it.

If i use loose hops when boiling (which i almost always do) if i remember i will strain them out. if i forget i don't really mind. doesn't seem to make a big difference for me, just makes it a tiny bit more difficult to wash the yeast later on.
Pouring the cool wort through a strainer into your FV is also a good idea because it should help oxygenate it.

Back