First Grain Crush

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusty

Reaction score
Hi all,
Well tomorrow afternoon is going to be my first attempt at all grain. I am doing Dr Smurtos JSGA clone & hope all goes well.
I grabbed a handful of pilsner malt & hand cranked it through the Barley crusher on a feeler guage setting of 0.9mm. Seems a little floury but I have no experience with what it should look like. Of course I want as high as efficiency as possible but I don't want a stuck sparge either. Mashing in a Rubbermaid cooler with 12" stainless false bottom & will be doing a mash out & a batch sparge.
Opinions would be great,

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

Thanks,
Crusty

looks perfect to me!

I like to have husk........ a percentage of fine grits and a percentage of flour for efficiency.

Before you crack the grain, add a bit of cold water to the whole grain in a bin. I use about 50 mls for a 5kg batch, 100mls for a 10 kg batch. scale to suit grain bill.

Pour it in the grain and mix it in. the grain should be just slightly damp. just enough so that when you squeeze a handfull, most falls of your hand when you open it but some sticks.

put a lid on it for 2 minuites to soften the husks nad run it through the mill.

Your husks will stay more intact as they are now soft but the inner germ is still brittle and will smash to bits.

Result is great efficiency and good sparge.

cheers

Thanks for the response guys,
I will crush at 0.9mm & see how my first AG goes tomorrow.
I have everything measured out, hops sorted to their own addition containers & will do the crush after lunch sometime.
Very excited & a little nervous as well.
Cheers,
Crusty

Hi all,
Well tomorrow afternoon is going to be my first attempt at all grain. I am doing Dr Smurtos JSGA clone & hope all goes well.
I grabbed a handful of pilsner malt & hand cranked it through the Barley crusher on a feeler guage setting of 0.9mm. Seems a little floury but I have no experience with what it should look like. Of course I want as high as efficiency as possible but I don't want a stuck sparge either. Mashing in a Rubbermaid cooler with 12" stainless false bottom & will be doing a mash out & a batch sparge.
Opinions would be great,

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

Thanks,
Crusty

My call, looks great! RELAX and don't sweat missing target temps too much, you'll make beer.

All the best,

Screwy

Thanks for the response guys,
I will crush at 0.9mm & see how my first AG goes tomorrow.
I have everything measured out, hops sorted to their own addition containers & will do the crush after lunch sometime.
Very excited & a little nervous as well.
Cheers,
Crusty

As somebody said to me for my first AG. "IT WILL BE THE BEST BEER YOU HAVE EVER TASTED" ;)

Back