First Four Days Of Ferment Were Lager Temps Due To Fault Fridge Operat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekul

Reaction score
I moved my brewery from inside the house into the shed so i could have everything in place and more room. I didn't want to take the 'good' fridge with a thermostat down there as i didn't want rats crawling all over it. The lid doesn't completely close on it either when it has a fermenter in it so i got a spare bar fridge and put it down there.

My stc 1000 was still in the mail so i had to cool my first ag attmept without a proper thermostat. Temps in the shed rarely get above 20C during the day so i had the timer set for 10mins at 11pm, 2pm, and 4pm. Unfortunately the timer override switch was on so it wasn't switching off.

Four days later (today) when i plugged in my newly rigged up stc 1000 (thanks wolfy for the pics!) i realised that my brew was at 10C and worked out that the timer wasn't working properly. I had thought that it was coincidence that the fridge was on when i was checking everything. I set the stc1000 to 18 and as i have no heating i just left the door open for the day. This arvo when i shut the door it was still at 13C.
Should i just keep lagering this brew? Will it be full of farts and diacetyl? Or is it fine to bring the temps back up and ferment as an ale?

My recipe was AndrewQLD's coopers pale ale from the db. It uses recultured cpa yeast. The yeast is def alive though as the gravity has dropped from 1045 to 1030!

And here i was thinking that this was the first brew that i've made that has occured without incident, and my first ag no less! Sadly it was not to be. :)

Any thoughts as to what i should do are welcomed.

bring it up to the desired temp the yasst should finish of the ferment however you wont get the ester profile you expected in the finished beer.

If your yeast is still active then all is well. In fact it'll probably be the cleanest coopers yeast fermented ale in history!

I'd let it free climb all the way to 20C to let it finish. You'll probably notice a lack of the yeast's fruity ester character, which won't be a bad thing IMO.

I went and checked the brew this morning. Temps have climbed to 14.7 so they are on the way back up (who would've thought i'd need heating in a subtropical climate?)
The amazing thing is that its dropped another 10 gravity points, this is one tough yeast! I thought that when you were lagering it took a long time to let the yeast chew through the goodness because of the low temps.

Has anyone made a lager with recultured cpa? I've searched the forums but i can't find an answer. My dad loves clean crisp beers (read megaswill) and wants me to make him one.

If i replaced the POR with cluster in the coopers clone recipe and fermented at 12C with recultured cpa yeast would i come out with something close to XXXX?

I'd probably only make a half batch up though as not to te up my fermenter for too long...

I went and checked the brew this morning. Temps have climbed to 14.7 so they are on the way back up (who would've thought i'd need heating in a subtropical climate?)
The amazing thing is that its dropped another 10 gravity points, this is one tough yeast! I thought that when you were lagering it took a long time to let the yeast chew through the goodness because of the low temps.

Has anyone made a lager with recultured cpa? I've searched the forums but i can't find an answer. My dad loves clean crisp beers (read megaswill) and wants me to make him one.

If i replaced the POR with cluster in the coopers clone recipe and fermented at 12C with recultured cpa yeast would i come out with something close to XXXX?

I'd probably only make a half batch up though as not to te up my fermenter for too long...

ekul,
From memory, I think xxxx is a combo of Cluster and PoR. First adddition Cluster then PoR. I'm sure there is a note or recipe in the data base somewhere.
Daz

Try nickjd 's xxxx clone from the database. all it uses is a single bittering addition of cluster.( BribieG also has an interestin looking recipe in the discussion session).

I have done a couple of nicks using s-189 yeast at around 11 c that are curretly lagering and yeah; they taste like a flat xxxx at the moment. I left those batches for two weeks while working away - so no real idea when they actually finished timewise...

I currently have a Doc Smutos Golden Ale with us-o5 running at 12.5 C and so far so good, has dropped from 1047 to 1034 in 3 days, will raise temps if I have to to reach full attenuation.

I reckon your idea would be worth a shot!

Back