First day on 3V system -- some questions / views wanted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skb

Reaction score
I am doing my first 3V brew day today, and have two choices :

1) I can use a gravity feed from the Mash Tun to a Grant for the Sparge, and then pump from Grant to kettle.. this will increase my loss by 1.8L due to Grant dead space, and hoses.

2) I can pump directly from mash tun to Kettle. I am concerned about this option only because :
* I understand using gravity makes it easier not to stuff up the Sparge - using the pump is higher risk
* I am worried that I would have to restrct the flow on the mag pump so much it would damage is. Reading sites I am guessing my sparge should take between 30-45M min up to 60min.

any advice would be welcomed.

i pump straight from the mash tun and restrict the output of the pump not the inlet.
most mag drive pumps can handle this as there won't be a stalling of the motor which is what causes damage.
also as a point i use my pump to recirulate the mash before running off.

Can you take a pic of the system?
If you're going to pump from the mash tun, only restrict the pump on the discharge side. Do not choke the suction/inlet.
Any reason you can't put the boiler on the ground and allow gravity to run to the kettle? This will save any transfers or mucking about. Then after the boil, put it on a bench and gravity feed to the fermenter or cube.

The challenge is it is 10gallon double batch so
Lifting is out

Probably too late now, but why not batch sparge? That way you don't have to bother with choking or restricting anything.
You'll have to forgive me but I have no clue how big 10 gallons is. "Double batch" so 45-odd litres I presume.
The grant concept sounds workable (grant = brew bucket?) but batch sparging is much simpler and still very effective, especially on the first few brews.

skb said:
I am doing my first 3V brew day today, and have two choices :

1) I can use a gravity feed from the Mash Tun to a Grant for the Sparge, and then pump from Grant to kettle.. this will increase my loss by 1.8L due to Grant dead space, and hoses.

2) I can pump directly from mash tun to Kettle. I am concerned about this option only because :
* I understand using gravity makes it easier not to stuff up the Sparge - using the pump is higher risk
* I am worried that I would have to restrct the flow on the mag pump so much it would damage is. Reading sites I am guessing my sparge should take between 30-45M min up to 60min.

any advice would be welcomed.
Using the pump you throttle the output side of the pump (the valve is already there ) you can completely halt the flow with no affect on the pump. The impeller is magnetically decoupled from the armature (electric motor spins a metal cup that has magnets that apply that magnetic field to the impeller that is also magnetised) . The main problem most have with using a pump is sticking the sparge (compacting the grain bed)
To avoid grain bed compaction,
1. Allow the grain to absorb the water at strike (this tip mainly for herms or rims systems where the mash is constantly being recirculated) call it 10 min.

2. Ensure your pump is fully primed

3. start the pump with the out put valve at most 1/4 open for a minute or two then adjust to desired flow (here your 'setting the grain bed')

As for fly sparge balance well it just that, tweak a valve here and there or next your in the states get yourself a Blichman Auto sparge, there a few good write ups on them on here and seriously the easiest way to set up a set and forget fly sparge.

MB

Guys sorry for the slow response to your help, my internet went down on the day and then I went away. I did read the suggestions on the phone however, I ended up using the Grant. I appreciate the help you all gave it was useful.

I will however next time not use a grant and will throttle on the "output" side as most have said, I am also going to stick to batch sparging for now. the brew day was interesting as it was my first 3V day, and it took longer than I expected. just kegged the beers last night, seemed ok but hard to say.

Back