First brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFergz

Reaction score
Hey guys, hope I have posted this in the right thread, just started my first brew on Saturday and just wanted to get some constructive feedback from all you pros about my approach and the way I have gone about getting on the homebrew band wagon.
So my first kit was the Coopers mexican cerveza, wanted a good session beer for the approaching summer!
My ingredients were the coopers kit, 1kg of be2
Saflager w34/70 (recommended by my LHBS)
And brewed to 21L.
Dry pitched my yeast @ 22c let the temp drop over approx 15 hrs and now currently fermenting at 13c.
I have a fridge and a keg king thermostat that both my fridge and heat belt are connected. I also wanted a more accurate reading of the inside temp of my brew so I installed a thermowell to insert the thermostat prong into. Took a reading with my hydrometer before I pitched my yeast and gave me a reading of 1.040 (read as accurate as my eyes would let me haha)
So any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated and please go easy on me it's my first attempt haha cheers, Josh.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1412588853.517880.jpg

Mate you are doing bloody well for your first brew! That being the case next time drop the be2 and head straight for DLME also consider some hops depending on style

Also when you are due to bottle and you have a taste don't be put off if it doesn't taste that nice. Let it mature in the bottle for over a month and you will be surprised how much better it will taste.

+1 to leaving in in the bottle. w34/70 is a Lager yeast and you're doing very well for a first timer with you temperature control and use of a hydrometer but lagers take a while longer to bottle condition than ales.

You might get some sulfurous 'fart' smells from the fermenter as it works it's magic, don't sweat it, that's normal for most lagers. After bottling those smells might persist in the beer for up to 6 weeks, I know they did in my last lager. But then they went away and it magically turned out to be beautiful clean drop.

Welcome and good luck with it JFergz :)

BrosysBrews said:
Mate you are doing bloody well for your first brew! That being the case next time drop the be2 and head straight for DLME also consider some hops depending on style
Dark Liquid Malt Extract?
DME or LME ;)

Thanks for the replies fellas, yeah the temp control was something I wanted to do accurately to try an get the best result so the Mrs cant laugh at me too much if it doesn't turn out any good lol

Don't be in a rush to get it out of the fermenter. Once it has reached final gravity leave it there for at least another week. I have just finished one identical to yours and it was in the fermenter for 35 days including D rest. Bottled into Corona bottles, it looks great, tasted good when bottling.

Ok cool just a few questions about a diacetyl rest, I've been trying to find an accurate instruction on how to go about it but have had minimal luck, so wondering what temps should I be cranking it up to/ and for how long, do I do this before or after the week of conditioning after primary fermentation has finished? Is a d-rest really necessary as with the week for conditioning? Sorry I have been trying to search for answers as I'm fresh off the bench in the homebrew game but would appreciate any help with this! Cheers

sp0rk said:
Dark Liquid Malt Extract?
DME or LME ;)
Woops!

Sorry meant
LDME - Light Dry Malt Extract

Could go Light Liquid Malt Extract as well but costs more

With mine, I switched off the fridge at day 11 or 12, don't open the door & let the temp rise naturally to18'. 2 days @18' & then bring it back down 1' every 12hrs to ferment temp. Then leave for as long as you can to condition. Rack to a secondary to bulk prime, also makes the bottled beer clearer, and leave bottled beer at least 2 weeks to carbonate before crashing it to o-4'.

P.S I also have as many full bottles as I can fit in the fridge as well. Slows down the temp change.

Spot on mate thanks heaps! This first brew is definitely gonna test my patience but I suppose good things come to those who wait hey haha

JFergz said:
Spot on mate thanks heaps! This first brew is definitely gonna test my patience but I suppose good things come to those who wait hey haha
Mate your first batch is about the level of my 7th or so, you are well in front of the pack, yes lager yeast takes a lot longer to ferment and to bottle condition, but will be very nice.

Maybe try an Ale next as you can turn it around a lot quicker, US-05 is a good starting yeast, ferment at 18 with most brews it is ready to bottle in under 2 weeks.

Haha I yeah prob should have kept it simple to get the feel for it first but have always had a habit of jumping in the deep end

Certainly picked the right hobby :)

As a first brew, you've done better than me, my first ale hit 28'c and was rancid.. Yes I drank it all ;)

Nottingham Ale Yeast is a pretty good option for super clean beer and would benefit from the fridge.

The only way to make good beer in my opinion is to boil all your water. Some won't agree but I swear by it.

Yob said:
Certainly picked the right hobby :)

As a first brew, you've done better than me, my first ale hit 28'c and was rancid.. Yes I drank it all ;)
I still have a couple of stubbies of my first brew, was thinking they may improve with age, takes a bit of motivation to open one now

Hey guys just another question, after a d-rest would it be beneficial to cold crash? If so, can it be done in the primary fermenter? How long should I crash it for and will there still be enough yeast in suspension for carbonation? Sorry for the newbie questions again

JFergz said:
Hey guys just another question, after a d-rest would it be beneficial to cold crash? If so, can it be done in the primary fermenter? How long should I crash it for and will there still be enough yeast in suspension for carbonation? Sorry for the newbie questions again
Sorry I meant after d-rest but before bottling

JFergz said:
How long should I crash it for and will there still be enough yeast in suspension for carbonation? Sorry for the newbie questions again
4 days to a week for crashing.. there is always enough yeast still in there mate :)

You have to do some pretty serious shiz to eliminate all the yeast (filtering etc)

Latest posts

Back