First Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rowdy82

Reaction score
hey guys, new to the site so thought i'd say g'day. i've just finished my first brew a coopers aussie pale ale. i'm very surprised and stoked with the way it turned out. it is quite malty which i'm guessing is the be2. og was 1038 final was 1012, brewed at a constant 23 degrees and bottled on day 12. i bottled 10 with dextrose 10 with carb drops and 10 with white sugar just so i could see for myself if there's a difference. i tried 2 after the 2 week secondary fermentation. the only difference i noticed was the dextrose was slightly sweeter than carb drops. next time i'll definately bulk prime. anyway the main reason for the post is i'm wondering if after secondary fermentation it will stop ageing/ getting better once it's chilled, say if i put them in the fridge or a colder environment because it's going to start getting very hot in brisbane in the next few weeks. i've added a pic of first pour.

hey guys, new to the site so thought i'd say g'day. i've just finished my first brew a coopers aussie pale ale. i'm very surprised and stoked with the way it turned out. it is quite malty which i'm guessing is the be2. og was 1038 final was 1012, brewed at a constant 23 degrees and bottled on day 12. i bottled 10 with dextrose 10 with carb drops and 10 with white sugar just so i could see for myself if there's a difference. i tried 2 after the 2 week secondary fermentation. the only difference i noticed was the dextrose was slightly sweeter than carb drops. next time i'll definately bulk prime. anyway the main reason for the post is i'm wondering if after secondary fermentation it will stop ageing/ getting better once it's chilled, say if i put them in the fridge or a colder environment because it's going to start getting very hot in brisbane in the next few weeks. i've added a pic of first pour.

By secondary fermentation I assume you mean bottle conditioning.
Once you put them in the fridge, they will settle and clear as any remaining yeasts floculate and drop, and ther flavour can blend a little but they will not mature any more, and they will not carbonate any more.

You really shouldn't get any taste difference from carbonation/priming sugars as the amount is too small and is almost completely fermented out for carbonation...the usual tatse differences are due to esters and chemicals in the sugars rather than the sugar itself.

I have left brews in bottles, and kegs for many months before putting them in the fridge, and only refrigerate once I am happy the beer has matured, blended, cleared and carbonated to its fullest potential.

Try putting some in the fridge, and if possible leave them in the fridge for a couple of months.
Then leave a few brews in a constant ambient temp for a couple of months and pop them in the fridge 2 or 3 days before drinking.

Now you have a side by side test of beer kept in the fridge, and beer kept out of the fridge.

Look for things like head retention, mouthfeel, carbonation, a belnding and softening of flavours where not one flavour stands out but they all complement each other, mellowed bitterness...not a slap in the face, clarity or brightness of the brew and compare them side by side.

Latest posts

Back