First brew underway

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoiks

Reaction score
I have bought a craft kit from Aldi as an intro to home brewing. Thought it would fit in my bar fridge - missed out by 5mm :angry:. I then bought a second hand bar fridge that didnt have the freezer compartment which has oodles of room. However I only have a rudementary power controller for the fridge (30min blocks), so I have naturally gone ahead and bought a stc-1000 :).

I have put on the Amber ale 'bewitched' that came with the kit but used a M10 yeast. I am going to drop some Mosaic in after 5 days or so as per a reccomendation I read. Lets see how that goes.

So my questions:
  1. I have had a few issues with stable temperatures due to the course grained control I have on the fridge. It started fermenting at around 20-22 degrees, then it dropped off down to 16 degrees after 2 days. I now have it back around the 18-20 degree mark. Not ideal but should be ok from what I have read. Right?
  2. Im going to try and get out a few brews for xmas. If 1 get 2 days stable reading after 10 days I should be right to pull out of primary right?
  3. I am confused at the next step. Some people say bottle and condition in fridge. Others say bottle and condition at room temp. Yet more still suggest racking to a secondary and either cold crashing, keeping at fermentation temp or storing it (cubing?) at room temp. Some people say 1-2-3 but big bird from seseme street is saying a-b-c. What do you suggest?
  4. How long do beers need to carbonate in bottles for to get good results. I have read anywhere from 2weeks to 2 months.
  5. Do you drink from the bottles or is it a pour only affair?
Since I do not have any home brew yet to consume, do you think that I could RDWHASBMW (Relax, dont worry! Have another store bought mega-swill)? :D

1/ Yeast like a constant temp, not fluctuations. Having said that, if your max was 22 then that is better than a fluctuation up to mid-late 20's. Your yeast have done most of the growth phase where adverse flavours can be produced by higher temps, but try to keep it constant now at 18C
2/ Given how you started this journey the last thing you want to do is rush bottling. Leave the beer on the yeast for at least 2 weeks, preferably 3 to give it a chance to clean up any off flavours.
3/ Bottle and condition at room temp (20-24C) for at least 2-3 weeks. No need for secondary, this is an antiquated process that only increases risk of oxygenation/infection for no benefit. After that, chuck it in the fridge and store it there.
4/ Depends on many factors. M10 should have no problem fully carbonating @22C in 2-3 weeks
5/ I only ever drink from a glass.. homebrew or otherwise. Test for yourself. Go and buy a 6 pack of any beer... drink one from the bottel & one from a glass as a side by side. The flavours are totally different from a glass.. you need to let the malt & hops shine!

Happy brewing

Patience is important and it is worth giving the beer a week or so after hitting your final gravity (stable hydrometer reading for 3 days at expected final gravity) before bottling.

If you fermenter missed by 5mm in the fridge you had was that with an airlock and lid? If so get another fermenter and just use glad wrap instead of a lid and you can have 2 brews on the go at once and have plenty of beer for Christmas!

think my 1st batch I tired a beer 3 days after bottling .lol

I find they are drinkable carboantion wise after 2 weeks if kept at a decent temp . 4 weeks they are better but by then they are half gone for me

If you can cold crash in the fermenter for at least 5 days its worth it . you get a clearer beer and you get more usable beer out of the fermenter . less soupy gunk at the bottom .

Call me lazy but use to pour into a glass but i just drink it out off big bottles i don't tell any different. .just leave half inch in the bottle. .. besides the dregs are vitamin b

Patience, its worth the wait. Get another fermenter if you want more beer for xmas. if you haven't got the space then settle for one. I'd rather serve 1 better brew than 2 crap/rushed brews.
1. & 2. have been answered soundly.
3.a.Bottle & condition/carbonate at room temp for 2 weeks then move to cooler storage if available. Don't sample for at least another 2 weeks. *Depending on the style, Dark & High gravity/alcohol beers need more storage time. b.IMO Forget racking, its just another step that requires more cleaning, space. etc. (I believe its mostly done for beer clarity). c.Cold crashing for 5-7 days will give your beer clarity amongst other benefits. You certainly don't have to do it. I've only done my 2nd on Cold crash and are stunned at the difference. If I'm making ales for myself only I wouldn't bother with cold crashing but If I'm serving others I'd like it crashed. Cubing is a process of cooling & storing boiled wort in a plastic cube. http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/16415-cubing-wort/ .

5. You won't see premium craft beer pubs serving their beer in stubbies.

Patience. If you read through the post's from new brewers most can't wait to taste their first brew(s).

*I've been working on beer ageing guide to help know when a certain beer is at its peak. "Generally", ales are optimum 4-8 weeks after bottling.

Back