First Brew..recipe Ideas?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks guys. i know 1018 is still too high but just going off how its dropped, my guess is, it will prob finish this weekend. prob add finings on sunday and bottle next saturday.
is there more chance of infection waiting that long?
also, how much priming sugar or drops should i use for 473ml grolsch swing tops

is there more chance of infection waiting that long?
also, how much priming sugar or drops should i use for 473ml grolsch swing tops

not really, keep it airlocked, should be fine.
priming calculator is here
bulk priming is best, but if not, enter 473ml for the volume. For beer temperature, enter the highest temperature the beer reached since active fermentation started.

I have had readings of 1018 since thursday. i gave it a little shake on friday like suggested but it still hasnt changed. it stuck at 1018. being a stupid noob, i didnt think about it being too high, and added finings yesterday. is it ruined? could i try addidn more yeast?

I have had readings of 1018 since thursday. i gave it a little shake on friday like suggested but it still hasnt changed. it stuck at 1018. being a stupid noob, i didnt think about it being too high, and added finings yesterday. is it ruined? could i try addidn more yeast?

If it still at 1018 after rousing the yeast on friday, don't worry too much about it. Give it time for the finings to drop the yeast, and then bottle. 1018 sounds high still, but if it won't drop, it won't drop. Theres only so much that can be done.

When you bottle, make sure you don't over prime. Give one bottle about 5 days, then chill it down, and open it up. Carbonation normally takes about 2 weeks, so if after only 5 days its overcarbonated, it means that it was bottled too early. If that happens, slowly release the pressure on the other bottles to vent out the gas, reseal them after a couple of minutes, and do it again a couple of days later. On the plus side, grolsche bottles are easy to do this with. ;)

If after the first 5 days that sample is still flat, or is only lightly carbonated, it should be ok...but recheck another (chilled) sample 5 days later. If at day 10 the carbonation is still under, or is correct, it should be fine for the whole batch. If it's overcarbonated, vent the bottles. Depending on how overcarbonated it is, you might only need to do this once. Again, check another sample 5 days later.

What I said above sounds like a bit of stuffing around, but imho it's worth it for the peace of mind in knowing that your bottles are unlikely to go bang. But still keep them in a place where if they do go bang, it's not going to hurt anyone.

ok thanks butters. i took a sample and tasted it yesterday and was really surprised how good it tasted. that must be a good sign that it isnt infected (yet lol)
ill leave it til the weekend and then bottle it. i only have 8 grolsch bottles at the moment and the rest are coopers PET so i shouldnt have any bangs lol.

providing it doesnt blow up or get infected, i think it will be a damn good drop for my first brew

No worries floody...if you do end up needing to vent, do the pets as well. Just crack them open to break the seal, give em a couple of minutes, and retighten.

will do. but finishing at 1018, wont it be very very low alcohol?
my sg was 1060 but everyone said that was prob wrong and it would be more lilke 1040

will do. but finishing at 1018, wont it be very very low alcohol?
my sg was 1060 but everyone said that was prob wrong and it would be more lilke 1040

Yeah, from the ingredients, 1040 is about right. So with 1018 finish, your looking at about 3.2% once carbonated in the bottle. But not a lot can be done about that.....and anyway, the main point is the flavour. If it tastes good, what does the abv really matter? Low alcohol doesn't necessarily = low flavour. Just take it all as a learning experience, the next brew should be better. ;)

Yea i guess. it did taste pretty good yesterday so hopefully should be nice drop.
thanks for the help

Hey fellas.
I bottled yesterday and i was really surprised how clear it was. still a little bit of yeast floating but im sure it will drop after conditioning.
I have the bottles stored in the fridge with the fridge mate set to 22 deg. I read somewhere that this is a good temp.
is this correct?

Latest posts

Back