First Brew (bit Munted Perhaps)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel80

Reaction score
Hi all,

this is my first post (pls be nice) but I have been a long time reader.

I was bought a homebrew kit for Xmas 2010 and recently got around to knocking up my first brew.
It was a 'may as well not waste this can of goop that came with the kit' type brew, very much not using best practices (but was using good sterilisation practices - starsan ftw).

Some brief background:
The can of goop was past it's brew before date (Munich Larger) by 6 months.
I bought a S-23 yeast, forgot about it and left it at room temp for 8 months inc 3 months of a Perth summer. Was out of date by 1 month at time of pitching. Had a crack with it anyway.
Bought a brew enhancer as recommended in the brewing crafts blue book.
Bought some hop tea bags.
Boiled the lot for 40mins in 4L of water - boil time as per brewing crafts book.
Rehydrated yeast before pitching.

Wort entered fermenter 20 days ago @ 16 degrees, been fermenting between 13 and 14 (left it a bit higher than 10 because of possibly damaged yeast.
OG was 1.040 - Target was 1.043, but had a boil over and lost some wort.
@ 6 days, it was 1.022 (tasted horrid, like a tart apple cider).
@ 14 days it was 1.022 gave it a stir and added a fresh yeast (thought the health of prior yeast was suspect due to poor treatment). Tasted less horrid, but cidery still.
@ 19 days (5 days worth of healthy yeast) it is 1.016. tastes more like beer, hoppiness coming through now. Seems 'thin', and a little like soda water in mouth feel.

Air lock activity has stopped, though restarted for 2 days when fresh yeast added.

My questions are,

1) Given the abuse this brew has copped (ingredient basis), what are the chances of it finishing up around 1.011, the target FG?

2) Will the body of the beer become more full with age, or is this going to be a 'thin' beer?

3) Is is necessary to turn the fermenting temp up a couple of degrees for a few days before crash chilling?
3.1) If so, would I begin this process begin once FG has been achieved or just before?

4) I plan on Cold Crashing in the fermenter, for 5 days or so, then kegging. Is this advisable?

For comparison, I plan on making this again (adopting better practices).
Fresh yeast
Fresh Can
Hop Pellets, Brew Enhancer, more water in the boil
Can of goo in for the last 10mins only so it does have the cr*p boiled out of it - losing its 'goodness', also avoids creating new compounds the yeast may not be able to deal with.
Cooler fermentation temp, with a healthy yeast starter prepared 24hrs prior at target fementation temp.

Any additional tips K&K brewers can provide would be most welcome for round two.

Top forum, keep it up.

Cheers,
Diesel80.

Back