First BIAB-ish Method Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pickaxe

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just getting in my grain, got a second pot, and am ready for my first full AG brew and had some method questions.

Equipment - I have a 40L Willow Esky, a bag and 2 BIG W 19L pots.

I am looking to go close to Goomba's 2pot method with ghetto lauter, but wonder if it's worth it or not?
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/60922-2-pot-stovetop-ag-with-lauter/
I was going to stick a colander in a spare fermenter, whack the bag on top for a makeshift lauter tun.

Questions :

Am I better off mashing at full volume in the esky and splitting to boil?

OR

Mash mash in 20L and sparge with the remaining water required?
(a la Goomba's 2 pot with Lauter method -)

Curious as to what method might give better efficiency for a noob? Or would it really matter either way? I'm looking to Goomba's ghetto lauter method as I don't really have anywhere to hang the bag (small kitchen).

I was also wondering about trub loss.

How much am I roughly going to lose to each pot?

Appreciate the help. Hopefully I'll no longer be relying on extract. this 6 weeks coming will be long, but hopefully good beer awaits.

Cheers,
A.

Recipe:
Volume : 23L
Specific Ocean Ale

4kg Pilsner
1kg Wheat Malt

20g Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
1 tab Whirfloc @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
20g Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
30g Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
20g Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 3 Days (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes
Fermented at 18°C with Safale US-05
Chill Method.

Original Gravity (OG): 1.047 (°P): 11.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.62 %
Colour (SRM): 3.3 (EBC): 6.5
Bitterness (IBU): 21.8 (Average)

When did BIAB get complicated.
I understand your pots are too small to do a std biab so I would run the mash in the cooler at optimum volume, sparge with extra water but don't exceed what cant be boiled off to obtain your final volume. Then split the mash and do 2 boils dividing hop additions between them. Seems the most straight forward way to me. If you boil off too much you can always top up with some boiled water to hit the 23lt your after.

Not really a brew in a bag BUT. I would use software to give you a strike temp and do a full volume mash say less 3 litres you could use to raise temp if needed. Split the wort and boil out..Better still get a pot big enough and do it all on the stove top.

Cheers

mash head said:
When did BIAB get complicated.
+ 1

Thanks guys, just needed that advice. I tend to over think things at best. Guess I still distrust that it will work. HA!

My stove top is pretty shit too, 2 pots is going to help get that better boil going, I have trouble boiling 1 full Big W pot as it is. 2 pots at lesser volume should help me get good evaporation and rolling boil.

Any advice on trub loss amounts? What to expect each pot?

I loose 3 litres in a 40 litre urn SO I would say 1.5 a pot.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back