First Batch Of Mash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2brew

Reaction score
Hey there guys. Im going to try my first ever mash at the weekend and I need some help.
My dad is comming to visit and he is bringing with him some ingredients for a batch and neither of us have any idea on what to do. List list is as follows

3kg light malted grain
500g crystal malt grain
100g saaz hops
100g specialty hops

If anyone can advise me on a recepie to use would be fantastic. I have looked all over the net with no luck.

I have an esky to use as a tun and have everything ready to go, just not sure what to do now.

thanks in advance, New2Brew!

new2brew said:
3kg light malted grain
500g crystal malt grain
100g saaz hops
100g specialty hops
[post="123878"][/post]​

Looks like a nice continental lager/pilsner - use the 3kg grain and about 100-150g of crystal in a 60-90 min mash at maybe 62C or 65C if you want more "fullness". Water ratio is up to you, 2.5L/kilo of grain or 3L/kilo. Heat your water to about 7C over the expected temp and go for it.

Is your esky manifolded or are you doing a mini-mash style one? You will have heaps of trouble sparging that much mash without a proper mash/lauter tun for sparging.

Once you have it, try to use maybe 60g of saaz in your boil, about half at 60 mins, 25% at 30 and the last 25% at 5 minutes. You could also try First Wort Hopping - plonk some hops in your wort when you are sparging.

Have a look at the Grumpy's site - there is a good guide on starting with a minimash.

http://www.grumpys.com.au/m1.php3?manualid=15

"Looks like a nice continental lager/pilsner - use the 3kg grain and about 100-150g of crystal in a 60-90 min mash at maybe 62C or 65C if you want more "fullness". Water ratio is up to you, 2.5L/kilo of grain or 3L/kilo. Heat your water to about 7C over the expected temp and go for it."

Thanks DJR, looks like we will use that recepie. appears nice and easy and is almost perfect for a first timer, thanks

Just a quick question or two.

!st, I know this may sound stupid, but what is the principle behind sparging? Is it to ensure that the starch in the grain has converted to woprkable sugars and to ensure that the mash is clear ready for the boil? If so, would I need a manifold as such, or could any sterile filter work?

2nd, what is the correct ratio of water for the sparge?
is it similar to the 2.5/3L per kg of grain or different?

New2Brew!

Hi n2b
You need to spend every available minute reading this publication off the net before you start your brew.
If it gets you thru your first brew you can buy the book from most good and some bad home brew stores.
http://www.howtobrew.com/
Cheers

I have no idea what specialty hops are. All I know is that is what the label says they are. When I see the packet at the weekend will let you know.

New2Brew!

This is a Great link
In that it is step by step pictorial guide.How to brew is the best read as well.
Its great to see you want to do AG,but as with all things study is the key!

new2brew said:
Hey there guys. Im going to try my first ever mash at the weekend and I need some help.
My dad is comming to visit and he is bringing with him some ingredients for a batch and neither of us have any idea on what to do. List list is as follows

3kg light malted grain
500g crystal malt grain
100g saaz hops
100g specialty hops

If anyone can advise me on a recepie to use would be fantastic. I have looked all over the net with no luck.

I have an esky to use as a tun and have everything ready to go, just not sure what to do now.

thanks in advance, New2Brew!
[post="123878"][/post]​
New2brew,

Enthusiasm is good.

But, preparation will make your your day much more enjoyable!

Read the appropriate chapters in the How to Brew link already given by Dicko.

Ask lots of questions, after you have searched this site for previous answers.

If you fill in your location you usually find that on-line locals will get in touch.

Happy Brewing,

Keith

OK, I think I get the basic idea.

2.5/3l of water to every 1kg of grain for the mash, then 1-1.5 times that again for the sparge, poured carfully as to not upset the grainbed.

From there we drain and boil adding the hops at the correct time (as per spasific recepie) cool, drain to fermenter carfully to ensure there is not a high amount of splashing and causeing oxidation to the wort and affecting the outcome of the beer, add yeast and close fermenter.

Thanks so much for all the advice and all the links so far, please keep them comming. I have learned so much already in such a short space of time. I guess its kinda like going to woodwork for the first time in high school. You have to learn the basics, but all anyone wants to do is start putting the theory into practise.

New2Brew!

new2brew said:
cool, drain to fermenter carfully to ensure there is not a high amount of splashing and causeing oxidation to the wort and affecting the outcome of the beer, add yeast and close fermenter.

Actually, you want to splash as much as possible at this stage according to some sources. Yeast need oxygen in order to multiply. Most people tend to underpitch, hence the requirement for oxygenation of wort - if you have a good amount of yeast in a well aerated starter (like one made on a stir plate) aeration of the wort is less important, if not unnecessary.

looking at the recipe is this a partial or all grain and what ssize is the batch as with the grain and hops u are after this seams to me to be way out of balance as 200 grms of hops to only 3.5 kg of hops with half a kilo of crystal in it just my thoughts

Going to try the recepie from DJR
3kg of light, 500g of crystal with 60g of the saaz

I would love to hear peoples thoughts on a small anti-bacterial filter system for when I am ready to lauter. I can get my hands on one and would be perfect to ensure that nothing undesireable from the grainbed is persent.

I cant see why it wouldnt work

New2Brew!

new2brew said:
Going to try the recepie from DJR
3kg of light, 500g of crystal with 60g of the saaz

I would love to hear peoples thoughts on a small anti-bacterial filter system for when I am ready to lauter. I can get my hands on one and would be perfect to ensure that nothing undesireable from the grainbed is persent.

I cant see why it wouldnt work

New2Brew!
[post="124226"][/post]​

Just one thing i noticed - you need a bit more fermentables. Using 3kg grain will only end up being 1.027 beginning gravity in a 23L mix - might want to add some more malt extract/grain/dextrose to get it up to 1.040 or more (unless light beers are your thing)

Dunno about a lauter filter system, what's the point since you're going to boil the wort before you can do anything with it anyway, which will sterilise it.

I dont wanna end up with floaty bits if I dont lauter properly. I dont wanna stand there and pick stuff out.

What would you recomend to get the gravity up? say 500g of dextrose or too much?

New2Brew!

If you get crud into the kettle when you lauter you can always strain/skim. If you vorlauf though, this won't be a problem, not to mention trub settling after whirlpooling anyway.

I also wouldn't use dextrose in a mash beer, it kind of defeats the purpose of mashing in my opinion. I would get more base malt (~1kg) or dried malt extract (~500g). If you can't get these, make a smaller batch to increase the OG.

No point filtering runnings either.

Latest posts

Back