First Ag Recipe - Any Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean83

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been a member of this site now for a long while and have read through the topics extensively, however this is my first time posting. I have been tinkering with kits and bits for the better part of 3 years and over that time I have managed to piece together the bits I need to get into all grain brewing. I have opted to go for the BIAB method. What I was hoping to pick your brains about was my first crack at a recipe, I am very partial to the Stone and Wood pacific ale and also Matilda Bay's Fat Yak (although have slowly been losing interest in it due to the drop in quality). Anyway here is the recipe;

2kg Pale
1kg Vienna
1kg Wheat
250g Cara Malt

Mash @ 65 degrees for 60 mins

Hop Schedule:
10g Simcoe @ 60 min
10g Simcoe @ 10 min
10g Galaxy @ 0 min

Dry Hop 5g Simcoe
Dry Hop 5g Galaxy

Yeast will be a safale us-05 (I think that is it)

I am not trying to clone either of the first two beers just trying to get a nice hopped beer with a good floral aroma and taste. Not overly bittered, but not too weak either. I have not had a chance to try any programs like beersmith or the like - and am a little perplexed trying to predict expected IBU's sorry if I sound a little naive.

I do have two select fridges that I use for kegging so this beer will be put on tap with a few bottles to keep for a rainy day. I can also control temp for fermenting in one of my fridges. Any advice on this first recipe would be greatly appreciated - and possibly what it may turn out like. Oh I had some help with the Recipe from my LHBS so cant take all the credit.

Cheers Sean

On a side note I am from Brissy and am blown away with the number of experienced Brewers on this site really looking forward to network on here and gain further advice as I jump into AG brewing - Just taken me awhile to pop up and post something

Hi all,

I have been a member of this site now for a long while and have read through the topics extensively, however this is my first time posting. I have been tinkering with kits and bits for the better part of 3 years and over that time I have managed to piece together the bits I need to get into all grain brewing. I have opted to go for the BIAB method. What I was hoping to pick your brains about was my first crack at a recipe, I am very partial to the Stone and Wood pacific ale and also Matilda Bay's Fat Yak (although have slowly been losing interest in it due to the drop in quality). Anyway here is the recipe;

2kg Pale
1kg Vienna
1kg Wheat
250g Cara Malt

Hop Schedule:
10g Simcoe @ 60 min
10g Simcoe @ 10 min
10g Galaxy @ 0 min

Dry Hop 5g Simcoe
Dry Hop 5g Galaxy

I am not trying to clone either of the first two beers just trying to get a nice hopped beer with a good floral aroma and taste. Not overly bittered, but not too weak either. I have not had a chance to try any programs like beersmith or the like - and am a little perplexed trying to predict expected IBU's sorry if I sound a little naive.

I do have two select fridges that I use for kegging so this beer will be put on tap with a few bottles to keep for a rainy day. I can also control temp for fermenting in one of my fridges. Any advice on this first recipe would be greatly appreciated - and possibly what it may turn out like. Oh I had some help with the Recipe from my LHBS so cant take all the credit.

Cheers Sean

On a side note I am from Brissy and am blown away with the number of experienced Brewers on this site really looking forward to network on here and gain further advice as I jump into AG brewing - Just taken me awhile to pop up and post something

Hi Sean,

You'll get a light hop aroma with this and I think a balanced beer, but don't look for an overwhelming hop flavour. You'll need to up the late hops and dry hopping to really get that effect.

Have a look at some SMaSH recipes (single malt and single hop) that are highly rated. I did that about 3 batches into AG, and it worked really well.

Finally, make sure you've already got some temp control on your brewing. I lost 2 batches (and probably will a 3rd) to this awful muggy weather. This storm will keep it cool for a couple of days, but it'll get hot again. I put some batches down during the flood (couldn't get to work) and then it got hot afterward. Resulting beer is barely drinkable.

My lesson learned is that I've bought a fridgemate and will now get that sorted.

Goomba

Hi Sean,

You'll get a light hop aroma with this and I think a balanced beer, but don't look for an overwhelming hop flavour. You'll need to up the late hops and dry hopping to really get that effect.

Have a look at some SMaSH recipes (single malt and single hop) that are highly rated. I did that about 3 batches into AG, and it worked really well.

Finally, make sure you've already got some temp control on your brewing. I lost 2 batches (and probably will a 3rd) to this awful muggy weather. This storm will keep it cool for a couple of days, but it'll get hot again. I put some batches down during the flood (couldn't get to work) and then it got hot afterward. Resulting beer is barely drinkable.

My lesson learned is that I've bought a fridgemate and will now get that sorted.

Goomba

Thanks Goomba,

Been just checking through a few single malt and single hop recipes. I may up the galaxy late and dry to try and get that nice passionfruit in the stone and wood, have just had a few mishaps with galaxy in the past so was trying to be fairly conservative. A balanced beer probably wont be too bad either so I may not. Yeah I to have had a few temp issues in the past so have a dedicated fridge that I can ferment in. It has two taps on it but is used predominately for fermenting now as I have a few kegging systems (few too many the wife says but that is an entirely different subject).

Appreciate the speedy reply and will let you know how it turns out

Cheers Sean

Hi all,

2kg Pale
1kg Vienna
1kg Wheat
250g Cara Malt

Hop Schedule:
10g Simcoe @ 60 min
10g Simcoe @ 10 min
10g Galaxy @ 0 min

Dry Hop 5g Simcoe
Dry Hop 5g Galaxy

Cheers Sean

Hi Sean,

I haven't got a suitable calculator to tinker with at the moment, but I think you may be a little light on fermentables just on weights (assuming typical 23Ltr batch) and also considering your efficiency may not be all that hot on your first attempt.

I would drop the wheat, and up the base Pale malt to around 3.5kg. If you want to keep the wheat, I would limit it to around 0.25 - 0.5kg, with the difference going to the base pale male.

I would mash around 67 or so, US-05 can attenuate pretty low and leave a thin beer otherwise.

Hopping, I would add around 5 or so gms to your flavour and aroma additions to balance a bit more malt from the extra fermentables I mentioned earlier.

My 2c (again without the aid of software - get Brewmate it is really easy and free! Brewmate download page), but I am sure whatever you will make will be awesome "because you made it"!

Cheers
:icon_chickcheers:

Hi Sean,

If it were me, I'd double that bittering addition and double the rest of the additions to get a nice fruity ale. On another note, if you are serious about getting into AG brewing then the best thing you can do is come to the Brisbane Amateur Beer Brewers meetings at Holland Park. You will meet a multitude of brewers all keen to have you try their beers and give you all the advice you need. We have a meeting this thursday. Check ou the thread here about our meeting and guest speaker Vince Costanza. Should be a great night.

cheers

Browndog

Sean,
Recipe looks fine .. I am a bit of a novice myself but with the transition from K&K or even cans of goo to the mecca that is referred to as All grain ... aaaaaaahhhhh you can hear the angels sing for that shit .. anyway .. start simpe .. your hops bill is pretty straight forward minus the fact that perhaps the grain bill is again simple.. try the 1 grain 1 hops bree first few.. the yeast is the cracker any how.. make a 1 grain 1 hops beer with different yeasts ... learn to eat noodles before Lobster !!

There is much to learn Padawan ... be patient ... remember that the oxen is slow but the earth is patient... great beer comes with time ... and it is def worth the wait !!!!!

Matt

Sean, Browndog is a famous hop monster (as you will find out when he plies you with samples at a BABBs meeting) :icon_cheers: but he's dead right here, and I'd have to agree that those hop additions just won't cut it for that style of beer. Another tack you could take, if you are after hop flavour and aroma but not looking so much for bittering in the throat , is to keep that original bittering addition but double the second and third hop addition and triple those dry additions. :icon_drool2:

Unreal guys it all sounds good,

Brown Dog, unfortunately I will be working until 8 o'clock at Ferny Hills pool on Thursday - the trials and tribulations of swimming coaching. However I am dead keen on getting to the BAAB's meetings.

Bribie - That is exactly what the galaxy was doing in my kits and bits I had a really nice hop aroma and flavour but was getting heavy bitterness in the back of the throat, that is why I dropped all the percentages back.

I am now in two minds - whether to do a SMASH recipe first - or to proceed down this path. will decide by this weekend and then take the plunge.

And Ledgenko - I can hear those Angels warming up the vocal cords already.

Cheers Sean

Thanks Goomba,

Been just checking through a few single malt and single hop recipes. I may up the galaxy late and dry to try and get that nice passionfruit in the stone and wood, have just had a few mishaps with galaxy in the past so was trying to be fairly conservative. A balanced beer probably wont be too bad either so I may not. Yeah I to have had a few temp issues in the past so have a dedicated fridge that I can ferment in. It has two taps on it but is used predominately for fermenting now as I have a few kegging systems (few too many the wife says but that is an entirely different subject).

Appreciate the speedy reply and will let you know how it turns out

Cheers Sean

If you like passionfruit, them maybe try citra. Though you do need to be conservative with Citra for bittering, you could just replace Galaxy with citra, up the dry hopping (which won't add bitterness viz a viz, unless you no-chill and add it into the cube before it's down to ferment temp) and end up with massive passionfruit, citrus (and some say lychee flavour).

Am a bit of a hop head myself, just be careful with anything boiled for longer than 15 minutes and you'll be fine.

Goomba

Thanks for all the replies guys it really is an excellent resource this website - even better once you start asking a few questions. I have decided on the advice of another brewer to run with this recipe and see how it goes, obviously taking brewing notes about my process. I think then I will have a look at a SMASH recipe.

Appreciate all the advice and will let you know how it goes. Counting down the days till Saturday to get this underway.

Cheers and Beers for later guys.

Sean

Hi All,

Been awhile since I have posted back on how my first AG went.

I stuck to my original recipe and just upped the amount of Galaxy at the end of the boil and flameout. No chilled it over night and then Kegged and carbed it over the coming week. I normally force carbonate (Ross Method) however I just let this one sit. I must say it is by far the best beer I have ever made, not quite a stone and wood clone but not far off it either.

I was very much a K&K supporter always reading the AG articles on here and the rest of the internet thinking there couldn't be much difference between the two. At the very least I stand corrected, the quality is without compare. I still believe K&K's have there place for brewers, however not for this brewer anymore.

The big question now is what to brew next - Dr. Smurto's Golden Ale looks to be high on the to do list. Also if any advice on local brewing clubs in Brisbane could be passed on that would be great - Not much for sporting clubs anymore.

Sean

Hey Sean

So this ended up pretty good aye im just trying to find a recipe for my first all grain beer after I got all my stuff setup but not being much into computers I had trouble working the beer smith free demo

Hey Sean

So this ended up pretty good aye im just trying to find a recipe for my first all grain beer after I got all my stuff setup but not being much into computers I had trouble working the beer smith free demo

Hey Cam,

Yeah this was a ripper, I have put this down twice now as I did really enjoy it. I would also recommend Dr Smuto's Golden Ale recipe. That is the other AG I have been putting down.

Have also put on a few partials on due to time constraints, however they just don't compare if the AG is done well.

And beersmith, I haven't even looked at it to be honest. Just basing everything on taste at the moment. Mate you will love it.

Sean

Hey Sean

Hey Cam, give brewmate a try, its fairly easy to work out.

I dont know how to post a link but if you google it its easy to find.

Back