Fire Extinguisher Co2 Bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jye,

For $50 you could send the bottle here to Canberra, and I would get my local bloke to fill it for the $14 that he asks for and you would the $1 better off!

I will ask my fire protection guy here if he has any affiliation in Brizzy.

BTW while you are calling your fire guy a bandit, my contact quoted me a 5kg reconditioned, re-tested and stamped, filled bottle, with the correct nozzle for a Harris 601 for (about) $65.00 I am running a 3.5, but may upgrade at some stage.

M

Hi,

I am in Canberra and looking at CO2 bottle options, any one got any contacts / advice? Have tried sending Uncle Fester a PM about the above but so far haven't had a reply. Looks like fire extinguisher is the way to go if I can find the right supplier.

Thanks.

Well, I've just purchased two fire extinguishers on eBay. $30 total. One had C02 and the other had water. Not sure what the water one will be rated at, so I'll check with the fire guy once i've got my adapter sorted.

Will provide some further info to you blokes who are interested once I figure out my setup. Very exciting, but bloody hard to get any decent info that's up to date!

Cheers

Clint

Well, I've just purchased two fire extinguishers on eBay. $30 total. One had C02 and the other had water. Not sure what the water one will be rated at, so I'll check with the fire guy once i've got my adapter sorted.

Will provide some further info to you blokes who are interested once I figure out my setup. Very exciting, but bloody hard to get any decent info that's up to date!

Cheers

Clint

Hey Clint,

The water one wont hold C02 sorry dude.

Cheers

Hey Clint,

The water one wont hold C02 sorry dude.

Cheers
+1 the co2 is a compressed liquid under pressure and it needs a steel cylinder that is manufactured to withstand to contain that pressure, no one will fill it anyway,Sorry

+1 the co2 is a compressed liquid under pressure and it needs a steel cylinder that is manufactured to withstand to contain that pressure, no one will fill it anyway,Sorry

LOL Yeah after my research I confirmed this. Luckily the guy was happy to swap it for C02. I've now got an empty one and a full one, both C02.

So the major problem I've been facing is that all fire places get them filled off-site. I don't want to do this as I will lose the brass adapter that I'm about to purchase to fit the reg on.

Does anyone have a contact in Sydney that can assist with doing this?

Cheers

Clint

LOL Yeah after my research I confirmed this. Luckily the guy was happy to swap it for C02. I've now got an empty one and a full one, both C02.

So the major problem I've been facing is that all fire places get them filled off-site. I don't want to do this as I will lose the brass adapter that I'm about to purchase to fit the reg on.

Does anyone have a contact in Sydney that can assist with doing this?

Cheers

Clint

don't forget to run it upside down untill you remove the pickup tube.

don't forget to run it upside down untill you remove the pickup tube.

Yeah thanks man, gotta be careful with that one! So I should just be able to run it and use all the gas until empty then when I get a refill, get them to remove the dip tube and bobs my uncle aye?

Do you think I'll be able to screw the reg straight on? Or are most people using adapters

Yeah thanks man, gotta be careful with that one! So I should just be able to run it and use all the gas until empty then when I get a refill, get them to remove the dip tube and bobs my uncle aye?

Do you think I'll be able to screw the reg straight on? Or are most people using adapters

I've heard both some people need adaptors others don't ? If you speak to you fire station and ask where they get them filled.

Have abandoned the fire extinguisher idea. I've got an empty 5KG C02 extinguisher for anyone who is interested. I'm after 30 bucks.

Cheers

Clint

Have abandoned the fire extinguisher idea. I've got an empty 5KG C02 extinguisher for anyone who is interested. I'm after 30 bucks.

Cheers

Clint

Clint,

I have a couple of full ones in date with the right thread reg screws straight on in Sydney South. PM me if you are still stuck and we can discuss coin.

Cheers

I've been using a 3.5kg one for a while now and my MM reg screws straight on. I didn't bother inverting to deal with the dip tube and its been fine - its only a small amount of liquid being drawn at a time and it vapourises before it leaves the cylinder anyway. One time I was flushing an empty keg with CO2 and when it was cranking out for a while it started to ice up but that was the one and only time.
If anyone is thinking of using one upside down make sure its secure in case something goes wrong with the head (v unlikely) or it drops and smashes the head and you end up with a CO2 powered rocket.

If anyone knows where and how to get a CO2 extinguisher refilled in Sydney I'd love to know. Ideally I'd like the dip tube and squeeze handle removed and a tap head put on instead. I'm really not that concerned about the cost - I'm sure anywhere that would do it will be far far less than the $300 for a new cylinder anyway.

I've been using a 3.5kg one for a while now and my MM reg screws straight on. I didn't bother inverting to deal with the dip tube and its been fine - its only a small amount of liquid being drawn at a time and it vapourises before it leaves the cylinder anyway. One time I was flushing an empty keg with CO2 and when it was cranking out for a while it started to ice up but that was the one and only time.
If anyone is thinking of using one upside down make sure its secure in case something goes wrong with the head (v unlikely) or it drops and smashes the head and you end up with a CO2 powered rocket.

If anyone knows where and how to get a CO2 extinguisher refilled in Sydney I'd love to know. Ideally I'd like the dip tube and squeeze handle removed and a tap head put on instead. I'm really not that concerned about the cost - I'm sure anywhere that would do it will be far far less than the $300 for a new cylinder anyway.
KGB, Check out JB Brew Supplies at Cronulla. Once I am finished with the BOC rental I'm going to buy mine from there. Brand new 6KG is $225 with gas. Cheapest I've found, and I have been looking for weeks.

Cheers

Clint

Clint,

I have a couple of full ones in date with the right thread reg screws straight on in Sydney South. PM me if you are still stuck and we can discuss coin.

Cheers
Thanks Thorby, I ended up renting one from BOC. I'm going to buy one after that is all used, just didn't want to wait and stuff around with the extinguisher.

Cheers

Clint

KGB, Check out JB Brew Supplies at Cronulla. Once I am finished with the BOC rental I'm going to buy mine from there. Brand new 6KG is $225 with gas. Cheapest I've found, and I have been looking for weeks.

Cheers

Clint

+ 1 dealt with JB Brew a few time now, great bloke and excellent service. Check out his psecials on Ebay. ( No Connection to seller just close to home)...Flame On Now.

Latest posts

Back