Finning Disaster?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatwhat

Reaction score
I added some fining to a cider brew yesterday in the hope of bottling tomorrow. To my suprise when i checked the brew today it seems to be fermenting again. The gravity was 1.1 yesterday and is now 1.06. It is worth noting that i added a bottle of apple snaps flavour to the fermenter as well. How long can finnings stay in the brew without altering the taste? Any suggestion on why the yeast woke up now? The temp has been at a constant 16 and i added a teaspoon of yeast nutrient 5 days ago but nothing happened between then and yesterday. Any suggestion on this prediciment?

I added some fining to a cider brew yesterday in the hope of bottling tomorrow. To my suprise when i checked the brew today it seems to be fermenting again. The gravity was 1.1 yesterday and is now 1.06. It is worth noting that i added a bottle of apple snaps flavour to the fermenter as well. How long can finnings stay in the brew without altering the taste? Any suggestion on why the yeast woke up now? The temp has been at a constant 16 and i added a teaspoon of yeast nutrient 5 days ago but nothing happened between then and yesterday. Any suggestion on this prediciment?

Agitation, oxygen and fermentables can revive, or reactivate sleepy yeasts. By adding the schnapps you may have added extra sugars, as well as agitated and introduced oxygen that may have stirred up your yeast.

As for the finings, I am not too sure but as it is usually isinglass it shouldnt do anything other than settle to the bottom so it should be OK.

i myself have not done a cider yet but from the research ive done most recipes seem do drop right down(below 1.000) unless uve added alot of malt which is not 100% fermentable.
and i dont know alot about finings either sorry, but common sense tells me as they clear a beer they would have to be romoving/dropping to bottom, undesirable shit from the beer, thus lowering fg.
as i said im no expert and at a guess i would probly say wasnt quite finished fermenting out though, mabye u gave it a bit of a shake or somthing as u added finings?

hope it helps
red

My ciders have all finished around 1.003 or so, wierd that yours stopped at 1.01 for a week and then moved. Perhaps the samples had stirred up cake increasing the grav, now with the help of gelatine it's dropped it down and given a cleaner sample.

Finings don't add any flavour.

i myself have not done a cider yet but from the research ive done most recipes seem do drop right down(below 1.000) unless uve added alot of malt which is not 100% fermentable.
and i dont know alot about finings either sorry, but common sense tells me as they clear a beer they would have to be romoving/dropping to bottom, undesirable shit from the beer, thus lowering fg.
as i said im no expert and at a guess i would probly say wasnt quite finished fermenting out though, mabye u gave it a bit of a shake or somthing as u added finings?

hope it helps
red
Thanks for that, i did give it a fair shake when i added the finnings. Didn't realise that cider ended up so potent.

My ciders have all finished around 1.003 or so, wierd that yours stopped at 1.01 for a week and then moved. Perhaps the samples had stirred up cake increasing the grav, now with the help of gelatine it's dropped it down and given a cleaner sample.

Finings don't add any flavour.

Thanks for that, the finning were to clear the brew a little only.

I'm not experienced in adding finings or schnaps to a brew of any sort, but instant thoughts are as follows:
As above, Schnapps = some fermentables? leading to fermentation or the simply aggitating the brew can rouse the yeast if they didn't finish their job properly the first time before settling on the bottom.
OR
I assume your 1.10 FG reading was before you add the Schnapps and finings. Did you take a gravity reading after adding the Schnapps & finings? The SG may have simply dropped due to adding the Schapps (what is the SG of schnapps?) + finings (are finings disolved in water before adding to a brew?).

Just food for thought.

Back