Finings Increase Alcohol?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finite

All Grain Gremlin
Reaction score
Was at a mates BBQ and a bloke I dont know showed up with some of his HB. Coopers Red clone I heard him say. He said it was 9% :blink: . I tried some and it was very easy drinking and tasted very much ok and drinkable but basicly like a coopers kit. I would also sit down to take a piss before I admit it was 9%, no way in the world it tasted like a 9% beer, I would guess say 5.5-6% MAX. I would say... Kit + DME + some more dex to increase alc. It was in the bottle so I couldnt see the colour. Anyway I was talking to my friends and I heard him talking about HB in the background and he said it has finings which make it clear and increase the alcohol.

I really wasnt in the mood for a long winded HB discussion as I was talking to my friend so just ignored it. Anyway is this true? If it is its the first ive heard of it.

Not true. Finings drop yeast and protein out of suspension. Period. He might be thinking of dry enzymes?

You hear the funniest things from misinformed homebrewers.

Who was it that told the tale about just judging at a comp, the locals jumped the fence, tried his beer, announced it undrinkable, demanded he drink some of their beer and told him how good their beer was. Must have been about a year ago, one of our West Australian members.

Yeah, remember that POL. :D :D Need to run the bullshit filter over a lot of what you hear.

figured he was full of it but wasnt about to duke it out. I just wonder where people get some of this stuff from.

i met a real aggressive bloke in a Thebbie pub...
he was telling me how he racks his beer for about 2 weeks before he'll drink it.
I nodded. Must be a skinny hose!

edit - some people are that stoked at making decent HB for a change, and that any new technique makes them HB Lord of the Rings. Good on 'em, great to see some enthusiasm, but the newbie preachers... they're a different matter. What sort of profession do they take up?

Seems to be
A. Preachers
B. Disgruntled Brewers
C. HBS owners
D. Do what they were doing before, they're normal balanced people with a hobby.

LOL POL, I remember that, it was ant.
Thread is Here

LOL, still makes me laugh.

Simo

Back