Fining

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marky_mark

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm wanting to add finings to a keg of Czech Pils thats been kegged and carbed for two weeks now. Clarity is okay but not crystal and I think its mostly yeast (had good hot & cold breaks and was a triple decoction mash with protein rest at 55C).

Question is whether to use gelatin or some polyclar VT...?

The major issue I'm wondering about is whether I can dispense the fined beer from that keg, or will the settled trub just get sucked up and contaminate every glass that's poured? Which product will form a stronger or smaller trub cake and minimise this issue??? Any comments much appreciated.

Cheers guys,

Mark

MM,

I wouldn't be leaving either product in the keg - If you really feel the need to clear it, I'd be filtering or racking off into another. First off though you need to ascertain whether chill haze or yeast - try warming a glass in the micrwave & seeing if it clears.

cheers Ross

I am a big advocate of gelatin, if I have a cloudy beer and don't want to leave it to settle long enough I pop 2 tsp of gelatin in 1/2 cup of hot (not boiling) water and onto the top of the keg. Guaranteed to be clear in 2 days (unless chill haze of course). I have never noticed any flavour probs with leaving it in the keg.

Filtering, too lazy myself. Just another thing to clean. If I am taking a keg out I will do a keg-to-keg transfer so the travel doesn't put all the sedement back into the beer but thats about it.

Go the ground up cow hooves or whatever it is :p

Mark,

If you have a filter try polyclar, I have found it doesnt form a compact layer and you will get some in every glass.

I'm also a big fan of gelatin and it gives me crystal beer after it has settled.

Jye

Back