gelatine not fining in jerry can

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletcher

bibo ergo sum
Reaction score
hi guys,

I've found that when adding gelatine to my fermenter (a 23L jerry can), I'm not getting much clarity from it. because my jerry has a small hole in the corner top, it's not like regular round-topped fermenters where the gelatine can really spread over the entirety of the beer. I'm finding when I pour it in through the hole, I can't find a way to mix the solution over the top of the beer without swirling the jerry which brings up ALL fermentation trub.

does anyone have any tricks with their jerrys and adding gelatine? I want to fine it in the fermenter and not in the keg as I'll be transporting this keg and don't want the gelatine/yeast trub to be roused when it's moved.

additionally, if I do add gelatine to fermenter and then give it a good swirl around, does rousing all that trub affect it negatively? I've never tried it as I assumed that the gelatine would not be able to fine ALL of the trub.

I wouldn't drill power it... Would increase oxidisation issues to the finished beer.
Just desolve it half cup water at about 50 degrees. Pour in and give the jerry abit of a rock, no much and crash chill to fridge temp. Don't worry about trub, oxygen will be more than an issue.

Or, skip the gelatine and just cold store it for a few weeks...

I'm fairly biased, he'll even call me cynical, but do you know what gelatin is made from?

I'd rather extra cold conditioning time then to add that to my beer.

My tip: Patience is the key.

Latest posts

Back