Finally, new brewing space

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welly2

Reaction score
The last 12 months has been terrible for brewing, in that I've had nowhere to brew. I had a go at brewing on the boat (temperature fluctuated between 14c and 28c over the course of two weeks) - that was a dumper. And there's a shared brewery in south London called UBrew that I joined for a month, which is great and all but it's pretty expensive - £90 a month to use the facilities, although that can be shared among 4 other mates, and you can only brew twice a month - so it makes each batch bloody expensive. So a brewer/beer drinker I know was in a similar position in that he couldn't brew at home, and he found two other people that were also in a similar position.

Took us a while to find a place but eventually we did! A new/small brewery in Hackney, East London called Maregade Brew Co had some room and offered to rent us part of their brewery so after a little bit of back and forth, we have our first brew day this evening! Very excited! It'll be good to get back into it and in a good space. Looks a bit cluttered which it is, but it's a brewery. But we have our own corner to brew from!

IMG_20180708_122944.jpg

IMG_20180708_122954.jpg

Brewing a pale ale, which will look a bit like:

74.5% Golden Promise
9.8% Flaked Wheat
5.9% Caragold
5.9% Flaked Oats
3.9% Carapils

Amarillo @ 60m (15.9 IBU)
Mosaic @ 60m (16.8 IBU)
Amarillo @ 0
Mosiac @ 0
Amarillo @ Whirlpool for 15 minutes (5.3 IBU)

Probably some dry hopping too.

and fermenting with White Labs WLP041 (Pacific ale)

Will let you know how it goes. It's been over 12 months since my Grainfather was last fired up. Hope it still works :eek:

Well done and good effort. Being in london i expect there is a premium on any spare space.

Awesome. I was in London back in march and again in may. Space would most certainly be a challenge. Great outcome :)

So unfortunately the brew didn't happen. Our grain order we made on the weekend for next day delivery didn't turn up. Was probably for the best, had some cleaning and sorting out of the gear to do as its all been sat in storage for a year or so. Anyway, got to test it out and make sure the grainfather still works (it does) so we're ready for. Monday instead. And currently planning the next brew day which is looking like a passionfruit saison.

In Australia next day delivery is never next day. They should have a guarantee. I find it when i'm buying tyres often, "yeah mate they'll be in first thing tomorrow" They never are

Are you all brewing the same beer or is it 4 different brews, or have you only got your Grainfather between you?

At the moment it's just my grainfather between the four of us but we're going to sort out a 1/2bbl or possibly bigger rig over the next month or so. 5 litres of beer each probably won't suffice!

Can you rent the brewery’s gear for a day? Now that would be a slight increase in volume....

Are you all brewing the same beer or is it 4 different brews, or have you only got your Grainfather between you?

At the moment it's just my grainfather between the four of us but we're going to sort out a 1/2bbl or possibly bigger rig over the next month or so. 5 litres of beer each probably won't suffice!
Can you rent the brewery’s gear for a day? Now that would be a slight increase in volume....

Well, something we're considering approaching them with, perhaps do a contract brew to dip our toes into commercial brewing! But that'll be down the line a bit.

Back