Filtering Problems

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elronalds

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new the forums and have just started home brewing. I decided to start with fresh wort kits from CraftBrewer, previously I was brewing at U-BrewIt. Still waiting to buy a few bits and pieces to have a go at BIAB (I think I will just skip the kits as I have enough experience from U-BrewIt I guess).

I just finished fermenting my second batch (Amarillo Ale Brewers Selection 7 days, OG 1.040 and FG 1.014, probably could of not dilluted with the 5L of water and stuck with the OG 1.050). I kept the fermenter in a fiberglass esky with a Jaycar temp controller to monitor the temp, approx 16-19C (mostly around the 17-18C) with frozen water bottles. I also have a kegging setup and the wife purchased me a filter for my birthday as I prefer clear beer.

I just filtered the batch after cooling it in the kegerator overnight and the beer is still very cloudy. My first batch was a Aussie Pale Ale (FWK) and I tried gelatin. The gelatin cleared the beer up nicely after a week, but still not clear like the commericals. I don't really want to wait a week for gelatin so I decide to get the filter. The filtered beer didn't come close to the gelatin effort. Any ideas where I went wrong?

Both beers have a fair bitter after-taste, I assume this would be due to the US-05 at the lower temps of 16-17C? Or maybe just due to the beer style.

Anyway regarding the filtering problems, I filtered from keg to keg in the range of 0.2-0.4 bar (I guess I was doing this for around 30 minutes). I then force carbed the keg, beer still very cloudy and I can't even see through it. Can chill haze be bad enough that you can't see through the beer? I would have thought that you get chill haze building up after a few days, just my impression from reading other posts.

Would it be worth getting some Polycar VT and then filtering again as I am determined to see results from this filter purchase. Not sure if it is okay to filter again once I have carbonated the beer. Any tips there?

Hi everyone, I am new the forums and have just started home brewing. I decided to start with fresh wort kits from CraftBrewer, previously I was brewing at U-BrewIt. Still waiting to buy a few bits and pieces to have a go at BIAB (I think I will just skip the kits as I have enough experience from U-BrewIt I guess).

I just finished fermenting my second batch (Amarillo Ale Brewers Selection 7 days, OG 1.040 and FG 1.014, probably could of not dilluted with the 5L of water and stuck with the OG 1.050). I kept the fermenter in a fiberglass esky with a Jaycar temp controller to monitor the temp, approx 16-19C (mostly around the 17-18C) with frozen water bottles. I also have a kegging setup and the wife purchased me a filter for my birthday as I prefer clear beer.

I just filtered the batch after cooling it in the kegerator overnight and the beer is still very cloudy. My first batch was a Aussie Pale Ale (FWK) and I tried gelatin. The gelatin cleared the beer up nicely after a week, but still not clear like the commericals. I don't really want to wait a week for gelatin so I decide to get the filter. The filtered beer didn't come close to the gelatin effort. Any ideas where I went wrong?

Both beers have a fair bitter after-taste, I assume this would be due to the US-05 at the lower temps of 16-17C? Or maybe just due to the beer style.

Anyway regarding the filtering problems, I filtered from keg to keg in the range of 0.2-0.4 bar (I guess I was doing this for around 30 minutes). I then force carbed the keg, beer still very cloudy and I can't even see through it. Can chill haze be bad enough that you can't see through the beer? I would have thought that you get chill haze building up after a few days, just my impression from reading other posts.

Would it be worth getting some Polycar VT and then filtering again as I am determined to see results from this filter purchase. Not sure if it is okay to filter again once I have carbonated the beer. Any tips there?

hi mate,

from my experience only - defiantley combine polyclar with filtering, will be best results

matt

Okay, I re-filtered the keg again this morning and I must of rushed it or had the pressure too high. I left it at 0.1bar maybe 0.2bar max and it is all clear now. Almost took an hour (maybe an hour and a half) to filter as the CO2 wasn't being helpful. Next time I will filter slowly with the pressure as low as possible.

How long should the filtering normally take for those guys that are filtering? The beer is warm now as it was filtering for so long. Does anyone have their filter setup in the fridge without monitoring it for the whole filter time?

Latest posts

Back