Filtering Harvested Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOG

Reaction score
I've been harvesting yeast for a while and am interested in ideas on how to get the trub out.

The latest brews have been heavely hopped and the harvested yeast is about 50% trub and hops.

Any suggestions on how to filter out the trub but still get the yeats through?

I was thinking a sterile cloth filter or even a coffee filter. Any ideas?

BOG

I'm not sure on the exact methods, but people usually 'wash' the yeast - using cooled boiled water and two jars. Something about shaking it with the sterile water, and decanting something or other between the jars and repeat several times. So yeah I said im not sure of the exact methods, but im sure someone else can explain it properly :)

Matti,

I've read the thread and I cannot find a reference to filtering.

Sammus,

thanks. I've got the yeast harvesting and washing bit down. I've got a fridge full of bottles of yeats now.
Some are up to 3 generations old.

I'm trying to work out how to filter the Hop residue and trub out of the yeast slurry without loosing the yeast in the process.

Thanks

BOG

let us Know when you find out.

firstly if you use a hopsock while boiling you'll get rid of most hop residue.

Then chill and decant/syphone/filter the cooled clear wort you avoid getting trub in your fermenter you solve that problem too.

Theoretically you would only harvest yeast

Cheers

matti

I love my hop-socks. They've cut down on the sediment a lot.. you could surely use one when you empty your fermenter, that would screen out particulate really well.

Cheers,
Will

Tony posted about this not long ago, instead of waiting for the ferment to finish, clean a spoon and carefully grab some off the krausen. Nothing but yeast and some hops up there, whereas trub has lots of other sh!t in it.

I have a barbed 19 mm inline irrigation filter fitted to my racking hose, about $10 bucks at any hardware or nursery

It screws apart and has a washable plastic filter inside the housing. I use it with the filter fitted if I'm dry hopping. It removes all the trub but is course enough to let through all the yeasties without slowing down my racking time.

I have a barbed 19 mm inline irrigation filter fitted to my racking hose, about $10 bucks at any hardware or nursery

It screws apart and has a washable plastic filter inside the housing. I use it with the filter fitted if I'm dry hopping. It removes all the trub but is course enough to let through all the yeasties without slowing down my racking time.

That sounds like a great idea. I'll give that a go.

Thanks

BOG

Back