Filtering Bottled Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownie

Reaction score
Have done a quick search, but not found anything about this.

So is it possible to filter between primary and secondary?

or Secondary and Bulk priming?

or from bulk prime to bottle?

I would imagine that filtering when bottling, would remove yeast, and thus affect the ability for carbonation to occur in the bottle.

Not sure if I will filter but this has been playing on my mind, and I need an answer.

Brownie

Have done a quick search, but not found anything about this.

So is it possible to filter between primary and secondary?

or Secondary and Bulk priming?

or from bulk prime to bottle?

I would imagine that filtering when bottling, would remove yeast, and thus affect the ability for carbonation to occur in the bottle.

Not sure if I will filter but this has been playing on my mind, and I need an answer.

Brownie

Brownie - all depends to which level you filter. The filter available through CraftBrewer will remove the yeast to leave you a bright clear beer, without stripping it all out. You can filter straight into your bottles, add your priming sugar & away you go. The result is a bottled beer with the finest layer of yeast sediment, perfect...

cheers Ross (totally affiliated...)

Ross- with this amount of yeast gone, will the time needed for the beer to carbonate increase?

Great question, Peas and Corn.

I asked this question on another forum and got the answer that it does not.

Though I don"t filter but allow my lager to cc for 4-6 weeks.
This allow the yeast to flocculate out and I have had no trouble priming my lagers.

As long as ther is yeast in suspension you be able to bottle prime and Bulk prime.

I am sure Ross will agree when he wakes up.
matti

is it possible to gravity feed the beer filters or do you need to use Co2 and kegs?

I am sure Ross will agree when he wakes up.
matti

These crazy people and their sleeping habits :p

The thing is that while carbonation in bottles isn't affected by yeast settling or being taken out to a certain degree (I have a lot drop out in secondary), surely there is a point at which you have taken out so many yeast cells that it has an influence over how quickly the cells that are left over can process the sugar you have put in the beer for carbonation.

Maybe...?

Only if you filter them all out!!!
matti

is it possible to gravity feed the beer filters or do you need to use Co2 and kegs?

Not really, would be far too slow to be practical. I'm currently trialling a peristaltic pump which would enable people that dont use CO2 to still push beer through a filter - I'll be posting pics if it's successful.

P&C - the filtered beer carbs up just as quick, to all intents & purposes, as an unfiltered one. This could change though if you used a finer cartridge.

cheers Ross

All,

Thanks for your advice, I currently CC my lagers for 2 weeks, however may try leaving them for longer (as I am currently doing with a Cerveza, not yet drunk enough beers to give me empties to fill).

Will look into Ross' filter however if gravity fed is not possible, then...hmmmm.

Thanks again
Brownie

How do you reckon a manual bilge pump would go? Check out at www.whitworths.com.au. I don't know what sort of pressure is required??

Comments anyone

Not really, would be far too slow to be practical. I'm currently trialling a peristaltic pump which would enable people that dont use CO2 to still push beer through a filter - I'll be posting pics if it's successful.

A peristaltic pump works beautifully for filtering from the primary, check out post 149. I will be filtering 2 more kegs this arvo if you need some more pics. It takes me about 10min to filter the keg using the slower speed of my pump.

I look forward to seeing yours Ross.

:beer:
Gooday Jye
I have managed to aquire a peristaltic pump from a dialysis machine still experimenting with water. From your post I deduce that you must be pumping at 2 litres a minute. The filter handles this throughput with no difficulty or problems?. Very interested in your reply.
Cheers Altstart

:beer:
Gooday Jye
I have managed to aquire a peristaltic pump from a dialysis machine still experimenting with water. From your post I deduce that you must be pumping at 2 litres a minute. The filter handles this throughput with no difficulty or problems?. Very interested in your reply.
Cheers Altstart

The flow rate isn't a problem, its about the same as what I was getting when transferring from keg to keg with co2.

Any chance of some pics of the pump? and how did you find it?

Latest posts

Back