Filter Size?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugglz

Reaction score
Whats the best size filter to filter beer (from one keg into another keg under pressure)? 1 micron or .35 micron?

Whats the best size filter to filter beer (from one keg into another keg under pressure)? 1 micron or .35 micron?

It may be worth checking out some of the sponsors sites and see what they have to offer for your application.

hi Bugglz,

Im using a 0,3micron Pall filter

:icon_cheers:

I use the 1 micron "absolute" cartridge from Craftbrewer.
Works a treat.
I've used .5 micron filters in the past but feel that it did strip some flavour.
I could have been imagining things though.

I'm thinking of buying a filter setup and have heard that the .35 micron strips flavour.

Does anyone disagree with this?

I'm thinking of buying a filter setup and have heard that the .35 micron strips flavour.

I do agree. Everything the filter holds back also carries a bit of flavour or aroma. That's not in the beer anymore.

Alex

I disagree. Im filtering my beers since about two years now and I wont miss it anymore.

Flavour is an individual thing, if someone likes the flavour of floating debris and dead yeast cells, voil dont filter :p

I disagree. Im filtering my beers since about two years now and I wont miss it anymore.

Flavour is an individual thing, if someone likes the flavour of floating debris and dead yeast cells, voil dont filter :p

Sure. A pilsner e.g. I prefer filterd, too. But the question if a filter strips flavour must be answered with 'yes'. But I don't think that this is a negative thing. Some beers I filter myself, too. ;)

Alex

I agree with Zwickle , but its a personal thing. I run a 0.8 um Pall filter and it takes beers to crystal clear (after isinglass) but I think 1 um is all you need for home brewing. Zwickel has the advantage of buying a load of really nice filters at a good price, lucky man.Making a weizen (no filter) to his recipe this weekend.Yum :D
GB

yeah, thats true, I have to admit, never filter a Weizen beer. What Ive said is valid only for my Pilseners and Lagers.

....outside it is 28C and sunny....hmmmm....I should start brewing a weizen.....you made my mouth watering..... :icon_cheers:

I filter the water out of the tap using an activated carbon based filter, as well as, the fermented beer in a multi-stage filter setup (1um absolute, 0.35 nominal and 0.5 nominal) and I'm yet to taste much of a difference. It produces crystal clear beer but I still suffer occasionally from chill haze. I don't use finings or Polyclar although I probably should for the chill haze problem.

[...] the fermented beer in a multi-stage filter setup (1um absolute, 0.35 nominal and 0.5 nominal) and I'm yet to taste much of a difference. It produces crystal clear beer but I still suffer occasionally from chill haze. I don't use finings or Polyclar although I probably should for the chill haze problem.

I have no experiences with this chill haze (I just accepted it), but shouldn't it be possible to cool the beer down to let's say 1-2C and then filtering? At 1-2C the chill haze will occur and it might be possible to catch it with the 0.35m filter! (Visible) proteins should be bigger that this size. Tell me if this idea is rubbish :wub:

Alex

I always chill the beer before filtering but find the keg will display chill haze after 2 days or so after filtering. Whatever it is, it's not being caught by the 3-stage filter.

This is essentially what I do to lager/ales:
- ferment for 7 -10 days
- rack to keg
- chill @ 2-5 C for 7 - 10 days
- filter beer
- rack to secondary keg
- force carbonate beer
- let settle for 24 hrs and drink.

I always chill the beer before filtering but find the keg will display chill haze after 2 days or so after filtering. Whatever it is, it's not being caught by the 3-stage filter. [...]

Do you flood the filter setup with CO2 before? Because literature sometimes says chill haze could be caused by oxygenation.

Alex

Do you flood the filter setup with CO2 before? Because literature sometimes says chill haze could be caused by oxygenation.

Okay, forget what I wrote. "Your" chill haze has been in the beer before filtering.... ;)

Alex

I flood the receiving keg with some CO2 to provide a layer and fill from the bottom forcing the air out through a one-way valve. I don't flood the filters with CO2 because there isn't much air to react with.

I don't flood the filters with CO2 because there isn't much air to react with.

Try to do it. Some brewes ruined their brew with the oxygen from the virginal filter. But, however, this should not affect your chill haze problem. ;)

Alex

So it sounds like the 0.35 nominal probably has about the same effectiveness as a 1 micron absolute then?

Is anyone using the 0.35 and filtering by gravity? I'm considering getting one but I'm worried it might need to have some CO2 pressure to force it through. I was looking at this one on eBay.

So it sounds like the 0.35 nominal probably has about the same effectiveness as a 1 micron absolute then?
it depends on how you define effectiveness.
With my 0.3 micron filter the beer gets absolutely clear, with the 1 micron filter it still looks a little bit hazy.

Is anyone using the 0.35 and filtering by gravity? I'm considering getting one but I'm worried it might need to have some CO2 pressure to force it through.

No, the beer will not pass through by gravity, youd need a pump. I wouldnt force it through by CO2 pressure, this would overload the beer with CO2.
Im using a pump to transfer the beer from keg to keg.

:icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back