Filling tap holes in Freezer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laxation

Phlegm TB
Reaction score
I just bought a freezer, which has been converted already to beer fridge with 2x taps installed.

If I were to take the taps out and move them (whether for a collar or just to a different spot on the fridge), how would I go about filling the holes left behind?

Is it even possible?

I'd also like to paint the fridge with a chalk paint, so whatever filler would need to be very smooth

For the best and longest lasting fix, I'd cut the hole slightly larger from the inside (leave the front hole the same size), place a piece of sheet metal/aluminium through behind and glue it down
Then fill from behind with expanding foam, cover with gaffa tape or epoxy if you really want
Then skim the front with body filler, sand and paint.
Quicker and easier way would be to just fill the hole with silicone caulk, then skim the front with body filler and paint

I would assume the outer shell is metal?

easy way would be space foam and bog.
Space foam to fill the hole between inner and outer wall, and bog up the outer shell.
Just treat it as a car body and you will be sweet.

Given chalk paint is matte, this will also hide some slight imperfections, but i would still use a couple of coats of 'filler' paint, it is thicker and allows you to sand it down to a smooth finish to remove more imperfections.

you would likely want to seal the inside too, mainly to stop moisture getting into the lining to much, maybe some form of resin?

sp0rk said:
For the best and longest lasting fix, I'd cut the hole slightly larger from the inside (leave the front hole the same size), place a piece of sheet metal/aluminium through behind and glue it down
Then fill from behind with expanding foam, cover with gaffa tape or epoxy if you really want
Then skim the front with body filler, sand and paint.
Quicker and easier way would be to just fill the hole with silicone caulk, then skim the front with body filler and paint
That with a full weld would be the best way short of having an good knowledge of car body work, but overkill.

n87 said:
easy way would be space foam and bog.

you would likely want to seal the inside too, mainly to stop moisture getting into the lining to much, maybe some form of resin?
What is space foam?

Bathroom sealant would do the job for sealant right?

space foam/expanding foam

You would likely want something rigid, but if you put a plastic (or other) patch over it, you could use something like sillicone.
Whatever you get, make sure it will tolerate fridge temps at least

I wouldn’t bother with the expanding foam just plug it with builders bog. It’s going to make bugger all difference to the insulation filling two small holes in the lid.

Why not just use silicone ?

image.jpg

I'd dare say because when you paint it, anything pressing on the paint will make it crack because the silicone will flex

I just jammed a wine cork in the hole. Havent got around to bogging it up yet.

Fill it with foam, expanding or just foam packing cut to size. Cover it all with a stuck on chalk board.

In case anyone stumbles across this from google or whatever... I ended up filling it with bog because I had some in the garage, then went over the outside with Cornice cement to give a smooth finish. Painted over it and now it isn't noticeable at all.

Thanks all for help.

Pics or it didnt happen.

Did you do anything to the inside?

if i were to do it i would use something to fill the inside, then bog over that, then cover with a spray putty or filler primer before sanding and painting... that way you get an even smooth surface.

need some photos though!

Low quality pic from the mrs facebook... so you probably wouldn't see the holes at all!

will take a better pic once it's finished.

17361716_10158508942075691_8973034839485380491_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back