Fg, Pilsner?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeaselEstateBrewery

Reaction score
Hi,

Two weeks ago I brewed a pilsner, chilled the wort to about 24 degrees and pitched the yeast. The next morning the fermenter was bubbling nicely, so I put moved it to my fridge and reduced the temp to 11 degrees.

The bubbling stopped within a few days or reducing the temperature (about 10 days ago). I took a gravity reading this morning and it's about 1018. I forgot to take an initial gravity reading, so I'm not sure what target gravity I'm aiming for, but 1018 seems a little high. Being new to lagers, I am not sure if this is expected behaviour?

Should I leave it longer, even though bubbling has well and truly stopped? (I know the fermenter is airtight too). Have brewed plenty of ales with no issues, this is my second attempt at a pilsner (the first failed miserably).

Thanks! BTW I searched for similar topics - found some results but not cases that were the same.

Hi,

Two weeks ago I brewed a pilsner, chilled the wort to about 24 degrees and pitched the yeast. The next morning the fermenter was bubbling nicely, so I put moved it to my fridge and reduced the temp to 11 degrees.

The bubbling stopped within a few days or reducing the temperature (about 10 days ago). I took a gravity reading this morning and it's about 1018. I forgot to take an initial gravity reading, so I'm not sure what target gravity I'm aiming for, but 1018 seems a little high. Being new to lagers, I am not sure if this is expected behaviour?

Should I leave it longer, even though bubbling has well and truly stopped? (I know the fermenter is airtight too). Have brewed plenty of ales with no issues, this is my second attempt at a pilsner (the first failed miserably).

Thanks! BTW I searched for similar topics - found some results but not cases that were the same.

Normal plethora of questions - assuming this is AG.

Mash Temp?
Grain Bill?
What Yeast?

1.018 is a bit high (unless you started at 1.070 or something). I aim for 1.010 minumum for my pilseners - I like them as dry as I can get them 1.007/8 is good. To attain this I mash at 62.

I would try warming up to 18 for a few days and see if it drops a few more points.

Rm

I w

Hi "Man on the tellie"....

Mash temp was 66 degrees. Lager was from CraftBrewer - Swiss lager yeast.

"Originating from the Hrlimann brewery in Switzerland (AKA S-189), this very popular strain is used by a large number of commercial breweries. Regarded by many to be the finest dried lager yeast on the market."

Grain bill was

4.5kg pale
100g crystal

Then it was 3 rounds of saaz - full boil (60 mins, 70g), 10 mins (14g) and end of boil (14g).

Have reduced the fridge temp to 18 degrees, will see if that makes a difference in a day or three.

Latest posts

Back