Festival of sacrifice.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its nice to see that brand loyality promotion has evolved somewhat.

The same documentary that Dave 70 linked is on showcase (Foxtel) at the moment, there must be a reason that those believers in creationism think the way they do, I can understand the prostitute/ crack addict who believes she was saved by God but the others, its like they want an imaginary something or someone to give them the confidence to get through the rigours of everyday life.
It was good to see them concede that there were dinosaurs on earth but laughable to say they were here along with man living side by side and Noah and Joan putting them on the Arc.

The problem with being a Christian is that when you die you have to spend the rest of eternity surrounded by people like Jehovahs Witness door knockers.

And you don't have the option of committing suicide to get away from them or getting pissed to avoid them. Also harp music makes me cringe.

Not picking but I love how some are opposing animal cruelty/mistreatment yet state they fish.

I don't consider a metal hook through the lip a regular part of any animals day, if the intent is just for amusement and not food. 2c

It's all part of a cultural mindset thing.

That ain't livin........

Boating, camping, ringbarkin trees, tearing down fragile sand dunes with your four whu-heel droyve.... and killing fish....... now that's livin. :)

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Not picking but I love how some are opposing animal cruelty/mistreatment yet state they fish.

I don't consider a metal hook through the lip a regular part of any animals day, if the intent is just for amusement and not food. 2c
Catch and release for sport is simply cruel.
Thats why stab everything I catch to death.

Dave70 said:
Catch and release for sport is simply cruel.
Thats why stab everything I catch to death.
Binding a sheep’s legs and slitting its throat is the way we butchered all our sheep. It's also the only way of butchering I've seen any other farmer use. It isn't something enjoyable but families have to eat. It's not as instant as the bolt to the head or electric shock that abattoirs use, but you can only use what you have available.
Judging people for their religious beliefs to carry out a practise popular amongst those without religious beliefs would seem stupid and hypocritical wouldn't it. Especially since the purpose of the Feast of Sacrifice (better translation) is essentially alms giving and about donating to the needy. The last side of beef I bought was $800 for about 100kg, ergo a full beast is about $1600 here in Australia. Donating two thirds of an animal to others and the needy, as they do is no small offering. I wonder what things would be like if our Christmas meals include a similar gesture?
The skinning of dogs alive in China would seem more abhorrent to me, but there's no religion in practise there, so that's not the target we want is it?

jimi said:
Binding a sheep’s legs and slitting its throat is the way we butchered all our sheep. It's also the only way of butchering I've seen any other farmer use. It isn't something enjoyable but families have to eat. It's not as instant as the bolt to the head or electric shock that abattoirs use, but you can only use what you have available.
Judging people for their religious beliefs to carry out a practise popular amongst those without religious beliefs would seem stupid and hypocritical wouldn't it. Especially since the purpose of the Feast of Sacrifice (better translation) is essentially alms giving and about donating to the needy. The last side of beef I bought was $800 for about 100kg, ergo a full beast is about $1600 here in Australia. Donating two thirds of an animal to others and the needy, as they do is no small offering. I wonder what things would be like if our Christmas meals include a similar gesture?
The skinning of dogs alive in China would seem more abhorrent to me, but there's no religion in practise there, so that's not the target we want is it?

Granted slitting a sheep's throat or contorting it to face Mecca prior to the act makes little difference, but I'm sure jimi, you don't slaughter your animals in such an amateurish and traumatic style as the keystone cop butchers in the video. Neither did your livestock just endure 11,000 km on a stinking, sweltering, overcrowded ship. As for feeding the poor,(ironically, most likely impoverished due to the fact their county is constantly embroiled in religious war) what about the other 364 days of the year? Eid al-Adha is a token gesture at best.

Bottom line is the whole exercise is unnecessary in the first place. And illegal. Its all here.

http://www.rspca.org.au/campaigns/live-export/live-export-facts

Dave70 said:
Granted slitting a sheep's throat or contorting it to face Mecca prior to the act makes little difference, but I'm sure jimi, you don't slaughter your animals in such an amateurish and traumatic style as the keystone cop butchers in the video. Neither did your livestock just endure 11,000 km on a stinking, sweltering, overcrowded ship. As for feeding the poor,(ironically, most likely impoverished due to the fact their county is constantly embroiled in religious war) what about the other 364 days of the year? Eid al-Adha is a token gesture at best.

Bottom line is the whole exercise is unnecessary in the first place. And illegal. Its all here.

http://www.rspca.org.au/campaigns/live-export/live-export-facts
Not the best link I think.

You might as well have gone http://greens.org.au/

Some of the most generous, tolerant and generally exceptional homo sapiens a re deeply and proudly religious.

Ideologies are dangerous at best. They discourage thinking and promote hate.

If you need a book to tell you right from wrong and the threat of hell to keep you behaving, you're probably a **** anyway.

Eagleburger said:
Some of the most generous, tolerant and generally exceptional homo sapiens a re deeply and proudly religious.
True, Except for the tolerance bit.
But that's a testimony to their humanity, not their faith.

Eagleburger said:
And some atheists and agnostics are arseholes.
Some priests rape kids. Some don't. Stalin was a psychopathic tyrant.

Religion didn't make them good or bad, any more than their trousers did.

You want to to believe in pixie dust mate you go for it but don't pretend it's necessary for the prevention of cuntiness.

manticle said:
You want to to believe in pixie dust mate you go for it but don't pretend it's necessary for the prevention of cuntiness.
I have experienced the enlightenment of pixie dust. Dont think it stopped me being a ****.

Blind Dog said:
No.

Firstly it's not Darwinism but evolution. Calling it Darwinism is a trick the religious right in the US use to suggest it is a belief founded on the ramblings of a mad Victorian with a massive beard

Anyway, evolution and whatever creation myth you pick are emphatically not two sides of the same argument. One is fatuous nonsense, the other a fastidiously researched, tested and refined scientific theory. And before anyone jumps on the 'it's just a theory bandwagon', so is gravity. A responsible parent would no more teach their child about creation than they would about fairies, leprechauns and unicorns

Agree. But, Evolution does not strictly deal with creation just how species change over time. Abiogensis deals with how life formed from non-life. Don't mean to be picky, but if I'm not the Creationist nuts will, not that I think any creationist nuts are frequenting this forum.

Also, the biggest hurdle scientists and the science literate face is the misconception amongst the general community as to just what we mean by theory.

StalkingWilbur said:
Ideologies are dangerous at best. They discourage thinking and promote hate.
If you need a book to tell you right from wrong and the threat of hell to keep you behaving, you're probably a **** anyway.
Is 'ideologies' the word youre looking for here? How do you have a society or for that matter a political system without ideologies?

jimi said:
Is 'ideologies' the word youre looking for here? How do you have a society or for that matter a political system without ideologies?
It's an odd word. AFAIK it arose in the French Revolution and simply meant the study of ideas as a science in itself, but fairly soon became a pejorative term. Modern usage seems to encompass the pejorative sense, as seemingly used here, a wider usage to encompass a system of institutions, government and society in general, and a strongly held idea or belief. Thus a Jihadist, a democrat and a humanist pacifist all adhere to an ideology, but its likely the word would be used differently to describe each, and perhaps not at all for the last 2 in our society.

(Edit, fat fingers)

Back