Fermenting in Cubes.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hyper.Intelligent.Fish

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm looking to pick up some 25 - 30L water storage cubes for primary/secondary fermentation vessels. I have two choices (examples below, not advertising).

1:
http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_water-storage-drum-bmw-30l-nat-wide-mouth-wbung_P3240382.aspx?search=30l&searchType=any&searchSubType=products&page=2

Nice wide opening, you can get a hand with a cloth into the container. Comes with a bung hole for a tap. Flat bottom, easier to keep clean, but raised central lid makes stacking impossible. Will also need to improvise an airlock.

2:
http://www.raysoutdoors.com.au/online-store/products/Ampi-Water-Storage-Cube-25L.aspx?pid=105834#Combo

Smaller opening will fit my current airlock/stopper, but more difficult to clean. Bottom shape will allow two containers to stack neatly, but will possibly also make racking more difficult. Bung hole for tap is an advantage.

Size is probably less relevant, next planned brew will be a kit, so probably approx 23L in total.

Given the choice, which should it be?

Thanks,

Fish.

Personally, I'd go for the Bunnings solution - apart from it being easier to clean, I'd imagine there'd be more head space - less chance of krausen trying to escape out through the air lock. And speaking of air locks, that's not an issue - just drill a hole in the lid and put in a grommet/bung and airlock from your LHBS.

Either will be fine. To clean just fill with enough boiling water to cover the krausen ring when turned upside down. Add sodium percarb, seal and upend.You can shake the cube - this accelerates cleaning but also builds up pressure which can be released (loosen lid gently, avoid any spray) but cubes can sometimes burst if weakened so exercise appropriate caution.

To ferment - no need for airlocks or drilling. Just back the lid off from tight by a few notches. Glad wrap and rubber band is another alternative.

I use the second type but it doesnt really matter. I just like that they have a top handle and can be stacked.

Easy to clean as per manticles post.

manticle said:
Either will be fine. To clean just fill with enough boiling water to cover the krausen ring when turned upside down. Add sodium percarb, seal and upend.You can shake the cube - this accelerates cleaning but also builds up pressure which can be released (loosen lid gently, avoid any spray) but cubes can sometimes burst if weakened so exercise appropriate caution.

To ferment - no need for airlocks or drilling. Just back the lid off from tight by a few notches. Glad wrap and rubber band is another alternative.
is there any risk of infection if leaving in primary for longer periods with the loose lid method ? and with the glad wrap option do you put a couple of fork holes in it ? cheers

stinkypetegc said:
is there any risk of infection if leaving in primary for longer periods with the loose lid method ? and with the glad wrap option do you put a couple of fork holes in it ? cheers
I won't say none what so ever, because you never say never. However I've had saisons, ales (dark and light) fermented in cubes, with the loose lid method for up to up to 6 weeks with no detrimental effects (in temp controlled fridge I should add).

No greater risk than leaving it in a fermenter for x amount of time (either the airlock or glad wrap method).

I have many different flavours of fermenter and cube. There's only one that sucks balls. It's a Willow jerry can. A white one (clear). The tap doesn't tighten adequately. Just when you are about to go, "Yep. That's perfect." It pops the thread. If it's done up loosely enough not to pop the thread the slightest bump knocks it out. I may have scored a shitty one but I will avoid in future.

It would be nice to have a clean sweep and standardise things. If I did then my primary concern would be working out how many of the things I could fit in my fermenting fridge. ie if I stacked (no airlock) could I fit 3, or 4? Two little ones and 2 big ones.... Bugger, now I wanna do it.

431neb said:
I have many different flavours of fermenter and cube. There's only one that sucks balls. It's a Willow jerry can. A white one (clear). The tap doesn't tighten adequately. Just when you are about to go, "Yep. That's perfect." It pops the thread. If it's done up loosely enough not to pop the thread the slightest bump knocks it out. I may have scored a shitty one but I will avoid in future.

It would be nice to have a clean sweep and standardise things. If I did then my primary concern would be working out how many of the things I could fit in my fermenting fridge. ie if I stacked (no airlock) could I fit 3, or 4? Two little ones and 2 big ones.... Bugger, now I wanna do it.
I've got a few willows and haven't had any dramas with them. How old are they? Mine a new(ish) maybe they've fixed the problem?

I bought one of the bunnings ones and found the inside rough and not well finished, nice place to harbour nasties. Took it back

I just forked out the extra cash for a copper tun one from my LHBS

JDW81 said:
I've got a few willows and haven't had any dramas with them. How old are they? Mine a new(ish) maybe they've fixed the problem?
Must be a year or two by now. Gets little use as it was crook from the outset.

stinkypetegc said:

When the beer has finished fermenting, just tighten the lid. It's preferable if you can keep it in the cold. Airlock, gladwrap or loose lid would all be the same low risk of infection - loose lid is easiest to fix.

Latest posts

Back