Fermenting in boiler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefin

Reaction score
Hi all

Has anyone tried pitching yeast straight into the boil vessel after chilling?

Made a couple of fermenter's out of some 50l kegs a few weeks back and decided to give this a go yesterday. Sped up the brew day quite a bit, did a couple of BIAB batches.

Just wondering if I will see any adverse affects with the beer?

Cheers Jefin

Basic Brewing Radio did a fermenting on the trub experiment worth going through the archive for a listen.

I the result was almost even split in preference for on/not on the trub.

Should have said:

I think the result was.....etc.

Are you fermenting in the same boil vessel/ kettle that you boiled the wort in or transferring to a second vessel ?

If its the first option, which I have not tried, you are fermenting with all the hot break and trub from the boil. That is unless you've built a kettle with some sort of dump valve or method of trub removal.

You'll find the answer your looking for by researching excessive hotbreak in fermenter or wort turbidity. Concerns of off flavours from the trub etc.

Cheers
Ciaron

From memory, long term stability is one of the main issues, if you are drinking it quickly it's less important.

I'd feel weird and uncertain about it though.. That said, I felt weird and uncertain about kettle chilling too until I did it a few times without incident.

Thanks Ciaron

The first option is correct, there is a fair bit of debate on the subject.

Both brew's are IPA's. I have always managed to get the majority of the break into my fermenter anyway so thought I would give this a shot. I did one batch using a hop sock and the other without, just to see if there are any effects from the hop residue.

I guess the answer will come from the taste of the beers.

Cheers Jefin

Yob said:
From memory, long term stability is one of the main issues, if you are drinking it quickly it's less important.

I'd feel weird and uncertain about it though.. That said, I felt weird and uncertain about kettle chilling too until I did it a few times without incident.
Hi Yob

Beer never last's long in my house :chug: so I don't think long term stability will be an issue!

Cheers Jefin

jefin said:
Thanks Ciaron

The first option is correct, there is a fair bit of debate on the subject.

Both brew's are IPA's. I have always managed to get the majority of the break into my fermenter anyway so thought I would give this a shot. I did one batch using a hop sock and the other without, just to see if there are any effects from the hop residue.

I guess the answer will come from the taste of the beers.

Cheers Jefin
Hey Jefin,

Same recipe IPAs ? I'd be interested in what you notice as far as bitterness and flavor is concerned.

CONNOR BREWARE said:
Hey Jefin,

Same recipe IPAs ? I'd be interested in what you notice as far as bitterness and flavor is concerned.
Same base recipe different hops. Both 10min IPA's one with Mosaic and one with Galaxy both to 60IBU

Galaxy was without the hop sock. Will let you know if there is a big difference.

Used BRY 97 for the first time in the Galaxy. She's a slow yeast, still no action after 30hrs. Hope to see some tomorrow!

Cheers Jefin

Patience, when you do see it, it'll finish quickly.. The slow to show is typical of this yeast but it's good.

Yob said:
Patience, when you do see it, it'll finish quickly.. The slow to show is typical of this yeast but it's good.
Thanks Yob

It's starting to ramp up now, have it sitting in a room that's pretty cool so expected it to be a bit slow. Read through the yeast forum about it, slow start seem to be pretty common so not too stressed.

Cheers Jefin

I like Basic Brewing Radio (only watch the videos) as they are very hands on and James just goes for it with small batches as experiments.

Keen to see/hear how it works out.

I rehydrated and still had to wait somewhere between 24-35 hours (it was sometime over night) for action. I think after 12 it had the faintest krausen, but it could have been my eyes not perceiving against the fermenter. But when krausen reared up - boy did it rear up.

I've read that it is usually done within a 5 days after krausen does this. No experience as I'm still fermenting myself.

Thanks Guy's will keep you informed on the results.

Lord Raja once the BRY97 got going it didn't take long to ferment and the krausen took no time at all to drop, it also liked the cool temp's down here a little more that the US05.

Cheers Jefin

Excellent. I've been putting it in the hot water system cupboard (about 18-20 degrees) to keep temp okay and using yeasts that like these temps.

How long did it ferment after it took off?

I've had US05 down to about 15 degrees (in Brisbane with temp control - so yep, deliberate), and it's chugged along okay, just taken a while. Having said that I got a profile so clean that I entered, and got 2nd place with a beer entered as a lager in QABC.

It was about 36/40 hrs before it fired up but once it did it chewed through a 1070 beer in 5 days.

Was surprised it chewed through it so quick, the room temp was around 13/14 degree's (maybe a bit higher during the day). Will become a good winter yeast hopefully.

Cheers Jefin

Need to give those that are interested an update on this one

Have done six brew's using this method with no ill effect, all of the beers have come out really good.

Connor Beware, there was a massive difference between the two IPA's but that was due to (Too many beers during brew day!) the hops being stuck on the side of the kettle.

Lord Raja the BRY97 is a good yeast, quick ferment but took a long time clean up. The results are really good once it settles (My beer was 7+% and I probably under pitched a bit)

Yob, haven't noticed any stability issues but it's only been a short time. Don't think I'll notice any either, there's not much left :D

All in all it's not a bad way to cut down time on a brew day, but the best thing is you have a sterilized fermentation vessel (I think!). Next job is to step up to a 100l all in one (Mash,Boil,Ferment).

Time for another :chug:

Cheers Jefin

Yeah I always thought it would be a good primary, especially if you couldn't be stuffed with secondary. Ferment it for a few days in the kettle (where it's sanitary!) and then transfer to another fermenter once there's a bit of alcohol to help sanitise. That way you'd get rid of the initial trube and keep mostly healthy yeast.

I have been thinking about using a conical fermenter with heat sticks as boil kettle because the trub could be dumped before adding the yeast.

Latest posts

Back