Fermenting In A Corny Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G_T_G said:
Though, who sells the larger type corny kegs? (I hear they exist up to 10 Gallon apparently). I've so far only found them on the 'BrewMart' site, but they are all the way over in WA. postage would be a bit much.
Maybe just use a 50L keg? They can be 'picked up' rather cheap, from $0-$50.

Judanero said:
Only purchase decommissioned kegs, otherwise it is receiving of stolen goods

OT
Love the Doctor's "think outside the square" beers, thanKfully the Union at Newtown seems to always have a keg or few...
had the Electrolyte (Gose) a few days ago - perfect for a hot/humid day, as is the Cephalopod (black berliner weiss)

Breezy too said:
Have you guys seen the approach Picobrew is taking?

Their system is based on a standard corny keg. The prepared wort ends up back in the keg, a special lid with airlock is fitted and fermentation takes place in the keg.

They recommend switching lids after fermentation and either bottling or gassing up - just blowing out the trub until the line runs clear.

Scroll towards the bottom of the link below to see a picture of the lid with airlock, then further down for a good summary of the process:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1708005089/picobrew-zymatic-the-automatic-beer-brewing-applia/description

Seems like they are no chilling in the keg too maybe "detach keg from machine and chill to room temperature".

wonder what the difference is between just blowing out the yeast/trub or moving it too a fresh keg for serving?

Judanero said:
I was thinking 25L + corny's cause i'd be able to lift them in an out of the chest freezer for fermenting.

I ferment in cornies all the time. Easy as. Shorten the dip tube a little, and attach a blow off via the gas disconnect. If you want to do it in a 50L keg, just get disconnect fittings for the coupler (Gryphon has them I think), and away you go (airlock etc.)

For those fermenting in Cornys, do you pressurise them even the tiniest amount to make sure they're sealed, with say 10kpa?

How does one take gravity readings using this method?

I transferred my pilsner from a plastic fermenter to a corny keg to use as a secondary. It hadn't finished fermenting but as I was going away for a month I racked it.

I thought the relief valve would control any burping especially as it was only a 16L batch.

Yesterday I emailed swmbo and asked her to check on it and to give it a 3 second burp.

The reply email angrily announced that when she opened the relief she was drowned in beer.

Oops. I wonder if I've wrecked the batch.

Being drowned in beer is a good thing, right?

Trevandjo said:
I transferred my pilsner from a plastic fermenter to a corny keg to use as a secondary. It hadn't finished fermenting but as I was going away for a month I racked it.

I thought the relief valve would control any burping especially as it was only a 16L batch.

Yesterday I emailed swmbo and asked her to check on it and to give it a 3 second burp.

The reply email angrily announced that when she opened the relief she was drowned in beer.

Oops. I wonder if I've wrecked the batch.

Being drowned in beer is a good thing, right?
Classic. This happened regularly when I was trying to primary ferment in a corny. Beer should be ok, just was a bit not finished yet. lol

practicalfool said:
Classic. This happened regularly when I was trying to primary ferment in a corny. Beer should be ok, just was a bit not finished yet. lol
That's great news. I'll see if she's game enough to try again next weekend. Maybe get the kids to video it.

Just reading through this old thread and wondering if some are still or have tried fermenting in the corny's?

Seems to me from what I've read so far there's a lot of pros compared to cons, if you have spare kegs.

kennek said:
Just reading through this old thread and wondering if some are still or have tried fermenting in the corny's?

Seems to me from what I've read so far there's a lot of pros compared to cons, if you have spare kegs.
Yep still fermenting in kegs, I found two 23L rheem kegs and now use these as fermenters. I also use a spunding valve and ferment under pressure (and partially carbonate towards the end) transfer to serving keg under pressure so its never open to the air.

Yep still fermenting in kegs, I found two 23L rheem kegs and now use these as fermenters. I also use a spunding valve and ferment under pressure (and partially carbonate towards the end) transfer to serving keg under pressure so its never open to the air.

Necro thread back from the dead.

How many litres do you fit in your 23l keg?

Revival of a classic thread from 2003.

SS bucket fermenters are cool, but are they justified?

Just ordered 4 Corny legs and might order another 4. Planning to use the method of primary in Corny and just blow out the Trub and consider it a finished product. Anyone finding this particular method superior?

My main concern was potential blockage of the beer tube/ disconnect with Trub / hops.

Revival of a classic thread from 2003.

SS bucket fermenters are cool, but are they justified?

Just ordered 4 Corny legs and might order another 4. Planning to use the method of primary in Corny and just blow out the Trub and consider it a finished product. Anyone finding this particular method superior?

My main concern was potential blockage of the beer tube/ disconnect with Trub / hops.
If you use something like a caskwidge - a floating beer line with a built-in filter it’s much less likely to get blocked. Works a treat in my corny fermenter

Kea, true that. Just that I am thinking of not actually transferring to a serving keg; less cleaning, less exposure. Still need to get the beer off the Trub. So basically need to use the method of sucking out the Trub directly out of the liquid line when fermentation is finished, so you would want the tube to be in its usual location without any filter. I know this is talked about as an option for Corny Fermenters, just wondering if anyone who uses this method has found it to block up around the bottom of the pipe or the ball lock connection during Trub discharge?

Kea, true that. Just that I am thinking of not actually transferring to a serving keg; less cleaning, less exposure. Still need to get the beer off the Trub. So basically need to use the method of sucking out the Trub directly out of the liquid line when fermentation is finished, so you would want the tube to be in its usual location without any filter. I know this is talked about as an option for Corny Fermenters, just wondering if anyone who uses this method has found it to block up around the bottom of the pipe or the ball lock connection during Trub discharge?

funnel flow.jpg

Latest posts

Back