Fermenter Shape

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

googe

Reaction score
G'day all, was just wondering if fermenter size/shape has anything to do with how a brew ferments. eg; would a fermenter that is shallow with a large surface area act differently to one that was tall and narrow?.

Cheers Greg

G'day all, was just wondering if fermenter size/shape has anything to do with how a brew ferments. eg; would a fermenter that is shallow with a large surface area act differently to one that was tall and narrow?.

Cheers Greg

In theory at least, although not necessarily true for such a small difference in overall surface area, less surface area=less contact with air/oxygen. Less oxidation etc.....

R

would a fermenter that is shallow with a large surface area act differently to one that was tall and narrow?.
Most likely yes, especially on a large/commercial scale, but on a home brew scale, any differences are most likely negligible.

Thanks fella's, how would they act differently?

Cheers Greg

From the little I've read on the subject, pressure has a lot to do with it in commercial scales, think how much weight would be on the bottom lot of yeasties in those massive vats, I'd almost garentee that they'd act differenly, how?, different esters produced I guess due to being in a different/more stressful environment.

The shape of the fermenter can affect how the yeast moves around in the vessel. Round containers apparently help make sure that there are no corners the yeast don't flow into.

In commercial brewing, until a few decades ago nearly all beer was produced in fairly squat open fermenters. Then they changed to very tall jacketed conical fermenters. This means that there is a fairly significant hydrostatic pressure on the yeast towards the bottom of the fermenter, like you diving down 20 metres. This has arguably changed the nature of many commercial yeasts.
When Sierra Nevada moved to a new brewhouse with taller fermenters it took them a year to get the brews back to tasting the same as the beers from the old plant, and it was the fermenter shape that was to blame. Not necessarily better or worse beer, just different.

In the case of home brewing, not really an issue.

The shape of the fermenter can affect how the yeast moves around in the vessel. Round containers apparently help make sure that there are no corners the yeast don't flow into.

Not heard that one before.

:icon_offtopic: , sort of anyway. Anyone with the new Yeast book tell me if they cover this sort of stuff in it? I'm assuming it does?

Not heard that one before.

:icon_offtopic: , sort of anyway. Anyone with the new Yeast book tell me if they cover this sort of stuff in it? I'm assuming it does?

It's mentioned in at least one episode of Brew Strong. I'm not looking for it.

Yeast book covers it, that's where I read about Sierra Nevada.

It's mentioned in at least one episode of Brew Strong. I'm not looking for it.

You mean I'll have to go look for it myself? Faaarrkk me!

:lol: :lol:
Cheers P&C

Edit: & BribieG

I had a scientific paper printed out on just this subject that explained it very well, unfortunately it was "put somewhere safe" and has never been found again, and for the life of me I can't remember the title. :|

Thanks all, very interesting bribie.

Cheers Greg

Back