Fermenter Prep

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roosiecharm

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just about to do some brewing - have soaked my fermenter in sod. perc. overnight - just wondering if I should give it a quick hit with some iodophor aswell?

Did you physically wash it out with a sponge and toothbrush all threads and clean the surface?

If so, yeah just use a no-rinse before you put the wort in. I use phosporic acid - 10%.

Did you physically wash it out with a sponge and toothbrush all threads and clean the surface?

If so, yeah just use a no-rinse before you put the wort in. I use phosporic acid - 10%.

Haven't yet but did plan to do that first. So I though iodophor would be a good way to kick some of the remianing nasties in the arse?

Sodium percarb is mainly used as a cleaner. It should be rinsed then a sanitiser (such as idophor) should be used as directed.

Sodium percarb when used with hot water has some antibacterial properties but I wouldn't rely on it as a sanitiser.

Manticle is the man. Everything he said definately. Clean first, sanitise last.

Roosiecharm just as a matter of interest, if you have iodophor, how much did you pay for your batch and was it difficult to find?

Been looking for this stuff for a while, LHB stores I have been to just dont stock it.

Roosiecharm just as a matter of interest, if you have iodophor, how much did you pay for your batch and was it difficult to find?

Been looking for this stuff for a while, LHB stores I have been to just dont stock it.

I got a 250mL bottle for $8 at my LHBS (which isn't actually a store, just a home brew section of the local mitre 10 hardware store).

Only use 10mL diluted in 10L so the little bottle lasts a while. Seems to work well from what I've seen so far

Got mine from Grain and Grape above site sponsors.
Most of our local LHB stores didn't know what I was talking about they only had Sodium Met.

Latest posts

Back