Fermenter In Sink

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harry72

Reaction score
Hello all,

Well i'm sure i've read somethign on here before about this but i can't seem to find it in a search, so apologies if it's a repeat.

I live in Melbourne and as people may know we have had some hot weather(wouldn't know it looking out there today!!). As a result i had a fermenter sitting in a sink with ice, etc for temperature control which worked a treat - my question is, is the tap clean and safe to use? I haven't taken a reading for a week and want to do one tonight but i'm concerned that as it has been sitting in still water there may be the possibility for infection.

Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

Cheers,
Hazwald

Give it a spray with no-rinse sanitiser and you should be fine

I'd get an artist's paintbrush, the bristle variety, a small jug filled with a no rinse sanitiser such as Starsan solution, Place fermenter on table, immerse tap spout in jug and also give it a good brush / probe up the spout with the paintbrush, and it should be adequately sanitised.

I just add some napisan to the water bath and i have never had an issue.

I fill up the electric jug and boil it, then slowly pour 2 litres of boiling water over the tap with a bowl underneath to catch the water.

Alfie

I picked up a little steam jet from gofreys for $35 if you want to go the whole hog, mine works a treat for threads and fiddily places..

:beer:

Mate just add a good slosh of bleach and equal slosh of vinegar to the water you are fermenting in. Bang - sterile water nothing will live in.

Or just use a couple of cotton bud ear cleaner thingies soaked in your no-rinse solution to give it a good clean... kinda like BribieG's method but cheaper and disposable and far less environmentally friendly. :)

Cheers - Fermented.

Thanks for all the suggestions - i have gone with the no-rinse sanitizer in an atomiser (I asked for a spray bottle and was met with a dumb look - when i described it i was then informed it was an atomiser i wanted!!!).

Hopefully all will be fine when i go to bottle it in the next few days.

Cheers,
Hazwald

Back