Fermenter heating belt rubber torn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshRunciman

Reaction score
I recently acquired a fridge and an STC and set up a fermentation chamber. However, I had the heating band sitting on the bottom of the fridge and it melted the plastic of the fridge.

When I attempted to remove the belt, it ripped some of the rubber around the belt away.

Does anyone know if it's still safe to use? If not, what do other people use to heat their fermentation chambers?

Cheers

manticle said:
Wires exposed? Chuck it and get a new one.
Yeah the wires are exposed. Cheers for responding.

Fortunately the weather is warm this week so not being able to heat shouldn't be an issue.

sp0rk said:
I've seen them explode spectacularly , would dare say they're not the "safest bet"
Not to mention the surface is hotter than a belt gets (75W vs 30W), if it falls over, it's going to melt straight through a fridge interior
Really? Thanks for letting me know. I heard they were very safe. :(

I suspect there may have been a problem with the heat belt in the first place for it to melt a hole in the fridge plastic. They are ~25W over a large surface area and shouldn't get very hot.

black_labb said:
I suspect there may have been a problem with the heat belt in the first place for it to melt a hole in the fridge plastic. They are ~25W over a large surface area and shouldn't get very hot.
This could be the case. I think I'll go with the heating pad suggested by thebigD. I'm not keen to use a heating belt again, especially since I don't want to place around the fermenter.

I used a heat mat for a while. I too was worried about it melting the base of by fridge, but i just put some spare tiles on the base of the fridge to keep the heat source off the plastic. Ceramics are pretty heat tolerant. Pretty sure they use ceramic tiles on space craft heat shielding for reentering the atmosphere.

1.jpg
whoops, bad example.

2.jpg
damnit, i'll get there eventually

3.jpg
There.

In all seriousness though, exposed wires = bad = get a new one.
if you are worried about leaving a heat source on your plastic fridge interior, insulate it with ceramics. even bricks would do.

JoshRunciman said:
This could be the case. I think I'll go with the heating pad suggested by thebigD. I'm not keen to use a heating belt again, especially since I don't want to place around the fermenter.
imho, you're better off having heat directly on just wort, instead of on your yeast bed...

Workmen blaming tools when they haven't rtfm in the firdt place... belts are low wattage however, Like any heat source you need to disperse the heat, belts are designed for contact, so are mats. While some may work lying on their side you are actually just tempting fate. They sell reptile heating belts that are made to just be dangled in the air, prolly a better idea. of course, things that heat the air around are less efficient than direct heaters.

Josh - just out of curiosity, where are you located? At this time of year in most of Australia, you shouldn't be needing to heat your FV.

sp0rk said:
imho, you're better off having heat directly on just wort, instead of on your yeast bed...
I'll put the heat pad next to the fermenter. It's in a fridge so should be warm enough.

stm said:
Josh - just out of curiosity, where are you located? At this time of year in most of Australia, you shouldn't be needing to heat your FV.
Stm,

I'm in Melbourne. You're right that I don't really need it, except I'm going to do a saison soon and I want to make sure it fully attenuates. In any case, I'll need it next year so I'm happy to buy, especially since they're so cheap.

Alex.Tas said:
I used a heat mat for a while. I too was worried about it melting the base of by fridge, but i just put some spare tiles on the base of the fridge to keep the heat source off the plastic. Ceramics are pretty heat tolerant. Pretty sure they use ceramic tiles on space craft heat shielding for reentering the atmosphere.

attachicon.gif
1.jpg
whoops, bad example.

attachicon.gif
2.jpg
damnit, i'll get there eventually

attachicon.gif
3.jpg
There.

In all seriousness though, exposed wires = bad = get a new one.
if you are worried about leaving a heat source on your plastic fridge interior, insulate it with ceramics. even bricks would do.
This is a great idea. Cheers

Still reckon the best option is a cheap towel rack.
They can get a bit wet and they don't get to hot.
w800-110c04361509d153f6b1206507bfca73.jpg

Back