Fermentation Temperatue

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jj2570

Reaction score
Hi,
A few days ago a put on a brew, An amber ale. Pitched the yeast at 21 degrees. Was hoping it would stay somewhere around that temperature. Temperature of the brew then went up to 26 over the next few days and heading to about 28 now with the hot weather and yeast re-actions. Is there anything I can do to get the temperature down?

You could drape a wet towel over it to start with. The evaporation brings down the temperature a bit. You could also stand the fermenter in a tub of water and rotate some frozen plastic bottles (freeze them in your freezer). Finally, you could go the whole hog and get a fermentation fridge. But maybe that's for another day. ;)

As stuster said, a wet towel works well. That can be improved upon further by bunching it up into the top of the lid, and putting a big ice block on top. As that melts, it keeps the towel damp. You can also put a fan on it for a bit more punch.

If you got the cash, get another fridge big enough to fit your biggest fermenter in and a fridge mate. We had a lotta probs with evil temperatures ruining brews.

If cash is tight yeah wet towels, mebbe a fan, or steal your mums fridge. :(

or even a non working fridge. With a bunch of frozen 2L bottles in it, changed over every day or 2, its amazing how cool you can get it.

Thanks for the ideas..ill look into it.. So maybe just an older fridge hey

I brewed a lager on the weekend, and the wort came out at 30 deg C.

AAAAAAaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

So I put it in my brew fridge for 6 hours, pitched the yeast at 25 deg C around midnight,
and next day it was down to 12 deg.

Don't have a fridgemate yet, and forgot to turn the fridge off,
so next day temp went down below limit of temp strip, so out came the heat belt and I
warmed it up for a day back to 15 deg to rouse the yeast.

Having a dedicated fridge and a heat belt is the ONLY way to go, you can save anything.

All I need now it one of those Tempmate things, are you listening, Santa!

Latest posts

Back