Fermentation chamber

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1149913

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking to make a new fermentation chamber. I'm probably going to try to use a chest freezer due to their efficiency.

Does anyone have the internal dimensions of a Hisense 145L freezer? I'm trying to find one i can get 2 standard fermenters into.

Thanks, JT

I have one as my keezer. I can measure it for you when I get home tonight.

EDIT: By standard fermenters, what are we talking about? White barrels?

Thanks!

Yep talking about the white barrels. Approx 30-35cm diameter

The Hisense HR6CF146 145l freezer is 727w x 833h x 560d (outside dim) but would suggest easily fit the 2 fermenters.
You do realise you will need to lift the fermenters in and out, trust your arms, chest and back are in good nick :)

thanks grott. You don't happen to know the dimensions of the ledge inside do you, or the wall thickness?

The width of 2 fermenters is approx 65cm which leaves approx 8cm for wall thickness. Wall thickness to me looks approx 5cm each wall....

So I actually have the HR6CF145. Its pretty small, outside dimensions as above. The walls are actually around 65mm thick. So you've only got 380mm square of usable space on the floor. With an extra 210 x 380 on the compressor hump. So if you make a little false floor to keep it even, you end up with 380 x 590 mm. I keep three cornies and a gas bottle in there (two on the floor, one and gas on the hump). I reckon you'll have a hard time getting two 35cm diameter fermenters in there. Although maybe someone better at maths can tell you if they'll sit diagonally.

Pro tip: when I wen't shopping for a freezer, I took a few cardboard cutouts that match the size of my kegs with me and tested them for space before purchasing.

Diagonal equals 700mm (701.78) therefor if the two fermenters equal 650 they will fit. but as TehCrucible has suggest check with a template of the fermenters.
Cheers

TehCrucible said:
Pro tip: when I wen't shopping for a freezer, I took a few cardboard cutouts that match the size of my kegs with me and tested them for space before purchasing.
I just took the keg.
"He's got a bomb, he's got a bomb..... "

I just got myself an upright freezer as a fermentation chamber in preference to a chesty due to the lifting involved. Bear in mind that you may need to lift it out for SG readings as well as racking / end of ferment, and that you will be trying not to disturb the trub at the end. I would say chestys are mostly only more efficient when you are opening them all the time, which you will likely only do when you actually take an SG or rack (which, as I say, will involve lifting the fermenter out for a chesty).

All that said, its probably going too be easier to find a chesty to suit 2 fermenters than an upright. And the other issue with an upright is that half the time they have shelves that cannot be removed as they contain the refrigeration coils.

Latest posts

Back