Ferm Fridge Setup Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hugh Jarse

Reaction score
Just scored a second hand fridge off dumbtree for a grand total of $90 and this is the last area of control I need to setup.

Tested the fridge and all but froze a glass of water when turned right down (or up depending on your look on life) so works like a charm.

Have a fridge mate wired up from previous herms control and that will be running the whole show for me.

What are the options for getting the temp probe inside? Obviously can go in the door as normal but does that create any loss through that point, hence cycling the fridge more? Can I drill a hole through the skirting on the door and then bring the temp probe through the insulation on the inside?

Heating? Heat belt hanging in the middle? Was thinking along the lines of the 30w craft brewer one.

Any advantages on running a small fan (computer fan) continuously on the inside to help circulate air? I wired the fridge mate with another switch for pump so this can be utilised to run a mobile phone charger wired to the fan?

Thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

Cheers.

IMG_0657.jpgIMG_0658.jpg

Going through the door seal works for me - negligible losses.

As for heating, I have an electric blanket that I place on the bottom of the fridge and this creates indirect heat which allows for accurate control rather than directly touching the fermenter.

Cheers

Mine is a very similar setup to what you have pictured. I just run the probe cord into the fridge and close the door, the door seal forms a pretty good seal around the probe. I just dangle it in there against the fermenter, or between them when I have two as in your picture. For heating a have a heat pad bought from Craftbrewer and sit it on the crisper section below the fermenters. Again, I just run the cord between the fridge and the door seal. Seems to work fine for me.

Thanks people.
I was wondering about the heat pads at the bottom instead of the heat belt. Am going to build a shelf at the bottom to make a bit sturdier. Pretty much just a couple of supports in each corner and utilise the existing wire shelf.
Nice to know that there is bugger all loss from the temp cord between the seal and fridge.
Still unsure on the air circulation with the fan, maybe overkill/over engineering?

Don't bother with a brew belt you can get flat panel reptile heaters on ebay for much less. I got a 14w one and it's prefect for my fridge

12v pc fan off a transformer works a treat for recircing air. Mine sits down the bottom next to the heat pad which leans against the wall. All my cords come past the seal. I built up a few layers of gaffer tape to smooth over the cables so the seal doesn't have to distort much.

My probe just goes through the door, doubt it makes much differance as it seals nicely.

With my probe have it against the ferm insulated with some polystirine so that it measures ferm temp rather then air temp.

Forgot to add, Others use a bottle of water with the probe in it.

Latest posts

Back