Female Bartenders

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBastard

Reaction score
Hello all.

Before having my own keg setup at home I assumed there was a reason behind the way the typical young females tend to pour beers at pubs. You know how they basically waste a pint of beer for every schooner they pour? Needlessly moving the glass up and down at the start creating a massive amount of froth, only to tip all the froth into the drop try and then fill it up some more and when at the top, keep going so that the froth tips over the side.

Is there any reason why they do this? Is it because of the way mega swill is made? What gives?

The way they do it they could be giving us all pints at schooner prices so to me this is quite a big issue haha.

Its probabaly the beer you are buying is overcarbonated due to it never selling. They usually have the gas lines set over pressure and the keg carbonation increases without constant use.

Not to mention they have NFI how to pour a beer. Having that skill also helps. :icon_chickcheers:

Hello all.

Before having my own keg setup at home I assumed there was a reason behind the way the typical young females tend to pour beers at pubs. You know how they basically waste a pint of beer for every schooner they pour? Needlessly moving the glass up and down at the start creating a massive amount of froth, only to tip all the froth into the drop try and then fill it up some more and when at the top, keep going so that the froth tips over the side.

Is there any reason why they do this? Is it because of the way mega swill is made? What gives?

The way they do it they could be giving us all pints at schooner prices so to me this is quite a big issue haha.

I've seen plenty of blokes do this as well!

I think the beer line in most pubs is typically quite long, so if the beer hasn't beer poured for a while, the first pour will be frothy on account of all the beer in the line warming up, no? Just a guess.

I've worked in a bar a bit (I'm not female either) and I can tell you 9 out of 10 blokes don't give two hoots about the head, only the amount of beer in the glass.
They'd often whine when the glass wasn't full to over flowing.

Well I'm talking about beers that would definitely be ordered constantly.

And they seem to vary the glass between 50cm and 10cm away from the tap in an up and down motion, intentionally frothing the beer up.

It's not all places, just some, the sort of places that aren't really proper bars if you know what I mean. Not sophisticated inner city establishments with a decent range of beer, but more suburban pubs and clubs.

Also don't those headmaster glasses have an etched bottom for this purpose?

I'd love to see someone pour a beer as if it was a rare nectar of the gods, holding the glass on the side at the start and just letting the bloody glass fill up, then straightening her up at the end and possibly only allowing a small amount of spill over the side to ensure that the glass is full. I'd love to just see if it actually would work, because the way these guys carry on it doesn't seem like an option for them to sensibly pour a beer.

This is no more typical for young females then it is for young males. <_<

Why are all the post whores on beer forums wankers?

Geez sorry to upset, must be that time of month?? :icon_chickcheers:

probably because of bar managers, like a friend of mine, who got all riled up when I questioned that letting a beer settle mid pour does anything at all. He said he'd fire anyone that worked for him that poured a beer with a single pour. You have to stop half way, let it sit for a minute, then top it up. Apparently it gives more flavour and aroma, and makes the head last longer while simultaneously keeping the carbonation.

I deleted my post because I didn't want to get into a shit fight with a wanker like yourself. You are clearly not only a wanker but a pig aswell.
'That time of the month' what a pig of a thing to post.

most dont give a toss about the beer. its not their beer they are wasting. they dont know how,
saying that its a female thing is just silly.

probably because of bar managers, like a friend of mine, who got all riled up when I questioned that letting a beer settle mid pour does anything at all. He said he'd fire anyone that worked for him that poured a beer with a single pour. You have to stop half way, let it sit for a minute, then top it up. Apparently it gives more flavour and aroma, and makes the head last longer while simultaneously keeping the carbonation.

Haha, its called "letting the beer warm up!" :rolleyes:

Funny when people that have NFI all of a sudden become subject matter experts because some rep or flashy bartender told them so.

I deleted my post because I didn't want to get into a shit fight with a wanker like yourself. You are clearly not only a wanker but a pig aswell.

+1

My understanding is as follows:

The initial 'up and down' movement of the glass during the pour, produces smaller bubbles than a straight pour.

You then wait a few seconds at mid pour for the bigger bubbles to burst and produce a more condensed head with the remaining small bubbles.

Finish filling the glass, making sure you spill a little beer over the edge for art purposes ( ^_^ just guessing at this one)

You are left with a condensed head that will take longer to dissipate.

The advantage of this is that there is a protective layer of CO2 bubbles on top of the beer for longer, preventing oxidation, and foul tasting and smelling beer, when you get to the bottom of the glass 30 minutes later (or whatever).

I think I read this explanation in Beer and Brewer magazine.
Not sure how accurate it is, but I now pour my beer with serious agitation at the beginning of the pour, let sit for 30 seconds while the huge head condenses, then top up with beer.
I have noticed the head lasting long, and looking more condensed.
Though the beer rarely sits around long enough to develop off tastes.

Hope this helps

Marlow

LOL it's been a while since I've had someone this worked up on the Internet.

My understanding is as follows:

The initial 'up and down' movement of the glass during the pour, produces smaller bubbles than a straight pour.

You then wait a few seconds at mid pour for the bigger bubbles to burst and produce a more condensed head with the remaining small bubbles.

Finish filling the glass, making sure you spill a little beer over the edge for art purposes ( ^_^ just guessing at this one)

You are left with a condensed head that will take longer to dissipate.

The advantage of this is that there is a protective layer of CO2 bubbles on top of the beer for longer, preventing oxidation, and foul tasting and smelling beer, when you get to the bottom of the glass 30 minutes later (or whatever).

I think I read this explanation in Beer and Brewer magazine.
Not sure how accurate it is, but I now pour my beer with serious agitation at the beginning of the pour, let sit for 30 seconds while the huge head condenses, then top up with beer.
I have noticed the head lasting long, and looking more condensed.
Though the beer rarely sits around long enough to develop off tastes.

Hope this helps

Marlow

Thanks Marlow.

I thought there must be some reasoning behind it, though I wonder how much difference it actually makes, particularly with beers that are pretty crappy to start with!

For the record if that is the correct procedure, the bar tenders I'm talking about aren't following it that well. they seem to create half a glass of pure froth and then pour that froth out with a flick of the wrist etc.

It's because they don't give a crap about wastage! And probably don't know how to pour a beer. Also, they are "trying" to look cool (probably seen Cocktail too many times).

Some pubs I've worked in, I've been told by management to put a good head on it (as they make more money). But I've never had to fluff around to get a good head on it! However, if I was wasting as much beer as these people, my boss's would have gone spare!

What get's on my goat, is when you go to some of these "trendy" pubs, and they foam it up (like you say), then tip half out, then foam it up again, and then use a spatula and knock off any head going over the glass. Then you pay, and by the time they get back with change, you only have 3/4 of a glass of beer! Not to mention that they just picked up a dirty glass, and put it over a crusty water fountain for a second (cold water I think too), and that is supposed to clean it! And the fact that it still has heaps of water in it! OK, breath, stop ranting. :beerbang:

Not to mention that they just picked up a dirty glass, and put it over a crusty water fountain for a second (cold water I think too), and that is supposed to clean it! And the fact that it still has heaps of water in it! OK, breath, stop ranting. :beerbang:

There is some merit in rinsing the glass dingo, it helps get the glass temperature down and reduce.... foaming! :lol:

Seriously though, i rinse all of my glass before serving. Mainly to
- To get the temp down
- Rinse out any dust
- Reduce foaming.

I do give my glasses a shake out however so you're not left with 50-100ml of water in the bottom of it.

There is some merit in rinsing the glass dingo, it helps get the glass temperature down and reduce.... foaming! :lol:

Seriously though, i rinse all of my glass before serving. Mainly to
- To get the temp down
- Rinse out any dust
- Reduce foaming.

I do give my glasses a shake out however so you're not left with 50-100ml of water in the bottom of it.

All pubs I've worked in, clean glasses in industrial washer (with hot water, and glass cleaning detergent), then they are put into the fridge to cool the glasses down. This is how it should be done IMO:
-clean
-cold
-Lines frigin set properly so you get a good beer without needless wastage! Never had a problem with too much gass (except at home :angry: ).

then they are put into the fridge to cool the glasses down. This is how it should be done IMO:

Never had a problem with too much gass (except at home :angry: ).

The problem i have with fridged glasses are they take up fridge flavours which you then pour your beer into, This is the worst when other products are stored in the fridge, Even if its exclusivly used for glasses the fridges have a distinct 'smell' to them, (maybe its the defrost cycle from the element) a metallic wetness which is all over the frosting on the glass. Not a big fan.

I have a mate who loved to store his glasses in the fridge/freezer... not a big fan of the flavour of last weeks curry in my beer.

Too much gas hey... Sure you aint the mate with the curry ;)

God I hate the wanker bartenders that have watched Cocktails too many times. Young males this time (hope there's no males here on the he-rags). You go and order a scotch and coke or whatever and the guy starts juggling the scotch bottle. WHAT AM I MEANT TO DO IN THIS SITUATION? Does he expect me to be impressed? Who is he trying to impress? Pour my god damn drink!

God I hate the wanker bartenders that have watched Cocktails too many times. Young males this time (hope there's no males here on the he-rags). You go and order a scotch and coke or whatever and the guy starts juggling the scotch bottle. WHAT AM I MEANT TO DO IN THIS SITUATION? Does he expect me to be impressed? Who is he trying to impress? Pour my god damn drink!

Little bit of flaring now and then helps to pass the time and fight boredome on a 12 hour shift(been there done that). Also lets you know the drunkards as they are usually the ones overly impressed by the little show ;)

Back