Fejoa wine ferment question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick667

Reaction score
I put down a fejoa wine with 5kg fejoas, 4kg ssugar, 6 lts boiling water, wine yeast, yeast nutrient and ropped to 10 litres. I put it in the hot water cbd and it was going strong.
Started 6-5-2016.
I didnt take a gravity reading for og but I have just checked the gravity at 1060 after all this time and it hasnt cleared properly yet.
Does anyone know what gravity measurement I should be aiming for with this?
I brew a lot of AG beer and understand sanitation and fermentation but I have never tried this before.
Any help?

Did you use any pectolase to break down the pectin from the fruit? Pectin is the same stuff that makes jam set, if you dint use pectin then that might be why it's not clearing.
You racked off the fruit after a few days-> a week?

I usually leave my wine in the demijohn for 6 months to a year before bottling (it sometimes takes this long to clear for some fruits like plum) it can take a long time to ferment out to dryness.
I am also a bit lazy with my wine and don't bother with an FG measurement. But I think the FG should be a lot lower than your measurement closer to 1000 as everything is fermentable.
If it's still bubbling leave it until it completely stops.

Recipe didn't call for any pectolase but I did add campden tabs.
Surely the yeast would munch on the sugar even if the fruit wasn't fermentable or have I got it wrong.
Maybe try another sachet of yeast.

You have put in too much sugar not enough water and when they make high alcohol wine the sugar is added in portions

Yep the fruit juice is very ferment-able with or without the pectin but the pectin proteins could be why it isn't clearing. If it's still bubbling through the air lock i would just leave it but if all fermentation seems to have stopped you might want to add some more yeast. does it still taste sweet?

Still tastes very sweet and gravity at 1060 so plenty of floaty stuff still in there.
Activity does seem to have stopped and we have had some really cold nights, I thought that on top of the hot water cylinder would be warm enough but it is tucked away and hard to keep an eye on.
Yeast was one of only 2 offered by the brew shop. The sweet one from memory called Harvest I think.

If you have 4 kg of sugar in 10 L plus the fruit then alcohol % is going to be over 20% and is not going to ferment out .Is harvest the brand of yeast is there a type on the packet of yeast

Back