Fed Square Microbrewery Showcase

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siborg

Reaction score
Anyone going tonight? I'm aiming to be there by about 5:30

Who went last night? What are your selections to try/avoid?

Before any of you get on your high horse... I searched the forum and couldn't find the last topic... useless. all I got was last years one.

Must tries are Mornington Peninsula IPA & Saison, Mountain Goat Thorny Goat (if they have any left), even though it wasn't very lambic like worth trying Bright Raspberry Lambic. True South Pale Ale & Red Truck were tasting good.

Heard good things about Cavalier Brewing but didn't get around to trying them.

I won't say what to avoid as everyone is different and playing beer Russian Roulette is fun sometimes :p

All Murray's beers on tap in Beer Deluxe tonight as well, I don't think I'll be making my 8:30 class tomorrow morning somehow...

Im heading over with a bunch of friends tonight. Hope they still have all the beers left would hate to miss out on any.
And how can you leave without trying them all!!!!

Im heading over with a bunch of friends tonight. Hope they still have all the beers left would hate to miss out on any.
And how can you leave without trying them all!!!!

Unless you buy 2 sheets of tickets or know quite a few of the brewers well it's pretty much impossible to try all of the beers with only 20 tokens.

And besides, a lot of the beers are pretty much available year round from bottle shops.

Unless you buy 2 sheets of tickets or know quite a few of the brewers well it's pretty much impossible to try all of the beers with only 20 tokens.

And besides, a lot of the beers are pretty much available year round from bottle shops.

Ahh right, well there is about 8 of us going so maybe have to try some half glasses of a bunch to try and get to them all :)

Totally bumming as want to go but can't make it.

I want reviews people! Then I can live vicariously through your tastebuds! Tell me who you reckon has come up with the goods this year and what's missing the mark. This showcase is always an interesting barometer or what the scene is up to. There must be some folks that went last night? What gives?!

Hopefully I'll get there for the one in October :( Happy tasting to all those lucky enough to attend.

Hopper.

I wish they'd put these thing on over the week end :angry:

I wish they'd put these thing on over the week end :angry:

Early days they were on the weekends, I remember going to my 1st one on a Saturday and there was hardly anyone there. This was also before beer blogs and twitter existed LOL. No idea why it was changed.

Totally bumming as want to go but can't make it.

I want reviews people! Then I can live vicariously through your tastebuds! Tell me who you reckon has come up with the goods this year and what's missing the mark. This showcase is always an interesting barometer or what the scene is up to. There must be some folks that went last night? What gives?!

Hopefully I'll get there for the one in October :( Happy tasting to all those lucky enough to attend.

Hopper.
Don't worry, mate. I'll put some reviews up tomorrow. I'll try and keep a note of whats hot and whats not.

Anyone going tonight? I'm aiming to be there by about 5:30

Who went last night? What are your selections to try/avoid?

Before any of you get on your high horse... I searched the forum and couldn't find the last topic... useless. all I got was last years one.

You mean this one? First on list when searching for 'Fed Square'. :p :lol:

I had a good night out and after 3 hours of sampling beer, I ended up with as many tasting-tokens as I started with, lol.
Didn't make it to the Cider Garden, but the following beers were memorable:

Prickly Moses Blueberry Hefeweizen was the stand-out beer of the night for me.
Bright Brewery's Raspberry Lambic, while not very 'lambic' reminded me of interesting raspberry lemonade.
Mornington's Saison was very tasty and fruty, - I'll have to get down to visit them sometime soon.
True South's Summer ale was a nice quaffing beer and the Pilsner had much more flavour than I expected (unfortunately the Red Truck keg ran out just as I got to it).

Boatrocker and Cavalier were both breweries I had not come across before, and I think both have grown from HB beginings, Cavalier's Weizen was floral and fruty and Boatrocker;s Alpha Queen was a good introduction to higher hopped beers.

I skipped Holgate, Matilda, Mildura and Mountain Goat having sampled their wares a few times previously (including Goat's Skipping Girl at Mrs Parma's on the weekend).
Overall, either the beers are improving or I'm learning what to avoid because I only tipped two this year. ;)

Ok there was way more there then I could taste in the time I was there :) Found some winners and some that missed the mark a bit.

Memorable ones for me were
Mildura Chocolate stout - This was beer of the night for me, proper chocolate taste without the over arcing coffee taste I got out of most other chocolate stouts and porters I tried. The Holgate Choc porter was also pretty good. Mildura's Honey wheat was also a very good drop.
As Wolfy said boatrockers Alpha Queen was a nice highly hopped beer.
The semi dry Cider from coldstream was the best cider I had of the night however their beers were some of the lowest on my list.
Southern Bay's Ranga Red ale was another one of my favourites of the night.

Plenty of other beers were quite good (Buckleys and Hawthorn are a couple I recall). I did notice a lot of Pale Ales around. I missed out on prickly Moses which Im disappointed about as Wolfy said it was his standout.

Ok there was way more there then I could taste in the time I was there :) Found some winners and some that missed the mark a bit.
That's why there is always next time.
Most of the vendors will be there the next time the event runs, and most will showcase their usual lineup of beers.
(Which is why I spent most of my time with the more unique and one-off offerings).

I just tried to buy tickets for the Fed Square Microbrewery showcase this Thursday but there don't seem to be any tickets available. Does anyone know if there will be door sales as they have done previously?

Thursday is all sold out as of a couple of weeks ago, so I doubt there will be any doors tickets for it.

argh no, I was heading in and assumed I could walk up DOH.

me too, :( what do ya rekon Matt, we'll get a 6er of feral hop hog and sit out the front with a "will do favours for tickets" sign?

Back