Favourite ~$40 Case?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sponge

Dungeon O' Sponge Brewery
Reaction score
Hey everyone

I'm about to head down to melbourne for a week for the unigames, and we have a bit of a collection of fundraising to be split up between all of us

Now i have roughly $40 to spend and feel like buying a case (ill be bringing down homebrews as well, just its so much more difficult to carry around a large bag of homebrews then it is just to buy a case while im down there

Now i thought of just going to usual CPA line, but I was thinking, what is the best value for money case you can think of???

All opinions are welcome

Sponge

grolsch, becks, heineken, but only if you can get it from an independent and pickup the real imported stuff :D

usually goes for 39 bucks at almost all places otherwise pickup a case of Amsterdam Mariner 500mL cans (24 x 500mL) for 39 bucks from Dan Murphys. that's 12 litres of beer for under 40 bucks :D

Actually if I have to buy a carton because I have drunk my brew dry or I cant afford real locals or real importeds, I dont mind the Amsterdam Mariner cans as a cheap beer (better the the local meagerswills IMO). $40 bucks for 24 500ml cans aint to bad.

Cheers Brad

Beat me Quantocks. If only I could type with more than one finger/brain.

Konig Pilsener can usually be picked up for $40 per case from Liquorland. Great value in my opinion.

Chers
Fish

Budwieser Budvar was going for $35 a case at a local independant bottle'o. Though it was out of date. :wacko:
They also have imported Lowenbrau and Becks for $40 which are always a good way to go to appease the masses and replenish my supply of green 330ml bottles for homebrews.

There's a few other 'reasonable' German lagers that are generally around the $40 mark at some of the big chain liquorstores...Bitburger, Memminger, Furstenburg, Oetinger. Once again, appeases the masses and you get 24 330ml green/brown crownseal bottles for your troubles.

+1 for Oettinger pils. Currently about $31.95 at my local Macs Licker (lucky girl) - that's Woolies, innit?
Very good value and there's most of what's left of a case from my brew-day yest'dy. Polishing off a 330ml brown, crown-seal stubbie now. (then I'll be sampling the Ringwood ale Mild ale. O/T, but has anyone read that the Ringwood ale yeast was the same as Swedish porter?)
Anyway, there will be almost enough change to buy a 4-pack of Amsterdam Mariner. If you care to be advised.

Barons out-of-date lager was going for $20 recently at a bottlo between home and work.

Does the Konig Pilsner come in 500mL. I thought i remember hearing somewhere that it did?

Maybe i heard wrong???

+1 for Oettinger pils here also a great drop when the brewerys all dry

Franko

For me it's pretty much any imported euroswill I haven't tried before. I'm not a big fan of Heineken anymore, or the Am. mariner, but Becks is fine.
Recently I scored the Estrella Damm and some imported Stella (near it's used by date), for under $40 each. Both are nice and easy to drink.

Other than that, the ever faithful OLD is always a good buy - but only when it's in the low $30's, as beer prices jump like petrol.

Balgownie Liquor Land had Memminger Bavarian Lager for $15 a carton (24x330ml), one week BEFORE its best before date.
That was the weekend before last.
Nothing to get too excited about, but it was beer flavoured beer.
Failing that, Porkembla Tosti often has JS, Matilda Bay and Moutnain Goat 6 packs for $10 on spesh.
Givvem a call, Sponge.
Let me know how you go.. I feel a shopping trip coming up, too. :icon_drunk:

I rated Shipstone's Crew - $30 a case from Aldi - when I had it a few months ago. Brewed in New Zealand, apparently, and is a pretty tasty amber ale.

I rated Shipstone's Crew - $30 a case from Aldi - when I had it a few months ago. Brewed in New Zealand, apparently, and is a pretty tasty amber ale.

You can check Boozle.com.au for cheap beers, if your that way inclined... I have a friend who will usually bring beer around, he has some tastebuds left so +1 for Furstenburg for cheap and pretty crisp beers.

Coopers Sparkling Ale.

More flavour than the pale and since you are drinking with uni mates, 5.8% gets the job done. :icon_drunk:

CSA is $38 at Dan's this week!

The yeast is good for morning recovery too... remember at Unigames you actually have to play sport between drinking :)

Coopers Sparkling Ale $38 at Dan Murphys this week

Good post Timmsy :p

I picked up a case of Oettinger for $29.90 at Dans on the weekend, I'd never heard of it before and took a gamble almost purely because it broke the magic $30 mark. Not too bad IMO.

So oettinger is looking like a goer

Ill be picking up some CSA as well just because its so cheap atm

Oh how good life it

Cheers, Sponge

Picked up two 5L mini-kegs yesterday of german goodness - one a wiezen and one a "kellerbeir" and the local bottlo

10l of german beer for $20. Very happy (especially as I had seen them going for $30 each or 2 for $50 not that long ago)

Latest posts

Back