Favorite Extract Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margwar

Reaction score
Hey there all,

I am normaly an all grain brewer but I am in the process of building a new house and moving the brewery there. In the mean time I have gone back to extract brewing as it is quicker and I dont need all my equipment.

Just wanted to get your thoughts on your favorite extract brew.... I love a good Pale Ale or Amber Ale...
Had a look through the forums and found Tony's JSAA which looks good.

Thanks,

Dietz

Neill's Centenarillo Ale is a cracker, it's in the recipe DB

While not strictly extract the kit + extract version of docsmurtos golden ale always comes up a treat. Coopers sparkling ale, wheat extract, a little crystal and amarillo at 15, 5 and 0. A good one in terms of time as only a short boil.

my last brew was a JSAA clone from brewcraft. been in secondary now for over a month. taste really nice but could use a but more maturation so im going to leave it another month.
While not strictly extract the kit + extract version of docsmurtos golden ale always comes up a treat. Coopers sparkling ale, wheat extract, a little crystal and amarillo at 15, 5 and 0. A good one in terms of time as only a short boil.

24L
2kg LDME
1kg Dextrose
20g Citra for 60 min
10g Citra for 10 min
US05 @ 20C

At the risk of sounding like a true bogan - the Toohey's dark kit without a kilo ends up pretty drinkable (more so than the actual beer) - I guess comparable to a mild in strength and flavour. I'll sink quite a few of those when the weather cools down.

I have just one one today. It's a JS Amber Ale Clone, don't know who posted it, but I got the recipe from here. It sort of breaks the rules but if it works should be very tasty.

3 kg Coopers LME, 300 grms crystal (120), 30 grms dark malt (900), 60 grms willamette hops. Yeat US-56

Heat 1 ltr of water to 70 DegC and add cracked malts. Put lid on and leave overnight 12 - 24 hours. This is bit I like!!!!

Then put 1.5 kg LME in pot and boil with 10 ltrs of water - I only used 5 ltrs, small pot!

Bring to boil and add 40 grms of hops, boil for 40 mins then add remaining hops (20grms) continue boil for 10 mins.

Strain the grain pot on to the hot wort. I did this at the 5 min remaining mark with the hop addition.

Take of heat and add remaining 1.5 kg of LME, cool, bung it in the fermenter add water to 23 ltrs when at right temp 20 ish pitch yeast US-56.

Will see how it goes. Smells wonderful, particularly like the not having to mess about with the grain at 70 DegC for ages boiling it. If it works it will be the way forward for me.

Looks like a lightly hopped Pale Ale from here.

my fav is coopers draught with stepping kit from Brewz 2 You..drinking pacific one at the moment

I did an extract brew loosely based on Tony's LC Bright Ale and it's definitely been a crowd pleaser.Recipe I used was
3kg LME
300g dextrose
250g carapils
Hops are B Saaz and Centennial (Tony's had cascade but I had centennial on hand)
15g each @ 40
20g each @ 20
10g each @ 0
US05 yeast
15 ltr boil for a 23 Ltr batch. I didn't chill it just waited to the next day to pitch.

Will definitely do again, next time with cascade for a comparison.

think i might give it go too..i have both hops..might use cent(40mins) for bittering and cascade at the end

Back