Favorite beer styles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doc said:
mmmm favourite brews. Where to start.
Well first I brew because the majority of Australian beers are crap. So here are a few of my favourites.

So the Schoefferhofer Hefeweizen is fantastic Schoefferhofer
The Goesser Dunkel Goesser
Founders beers Founders
Speights Old Dark Speights
Monteiths Black Monteiths
Macs Copperhop and Black Macs
Mountain Goat Stout Mountain Goat
Negra Model Negra Modelo
Leffe Triple Leffe Triple
Hoegaarden Wit Hoegaarden Wit

Cheers,
Doc
There sounds like there are some nice ones in there Doc, I might have to try some of these over the Christmas break :)

just got home and tried a pilsner Urquell :rolleyes: it bloody beautiful ,and i would have to say along with boags , little critters( creatures ) P. A.
its g r 8

:chug:
simon

The out-laws have just been on holiday down in Tassie, and they bought back some Boags Draught.
It is only available in Tassie for some reason.
Anyway it is a nice drop for a commercial beer.
If you go to Tassie, then give it a try.

Cheers,
Doc

Couple of Belgians my sister brought back from a recent trip were pretty delicious - Charles Quint Keizer Karel, and Barbar Blonde.

cheers
reg

Any Perth brewers (I know there arent many on here) should go and check out the International Beer Store. It has been renovated and they now stock the best range of beers I've seen. Lots of new belgians (theyve got 6-7 lambics in stock now). Only problem is you go there and come out with lots of great beer, and an empty wallet :)

Ah, where to start. Im a fan of american pale ales and witbiers. Goat PA, Grand Ridge blonde, fullers ESB, little creatures PA are some of my favourites. When I first started to drink, I liked lagers, but a few months on, Im finding that I like ales a lot more. I still cant really palate a lot of those strong belgian beers though.

It sort of depends on the weather, Spring I love IPA's with their great aroma. Summer I like either coronas or a white beer. Fall gotta go with anything octoberfest. Winter I usually drink alot of bock.

Without a doubt my favourite are Belgian styles, in particular, the strong dark ales. As a group, they have to be the most complex and interesting beers known to man!

- Snow

Commercial beer? Ummm, suffolk strong or Rochefort 10, YOU decide

Jovial Monk

Australian: James Squire Pilsner, Matlida Bay Pils

OS: The list goes on and on but anything pilsner, love them all :chug:

My goal with homebrewing is to creat the 'perfect pilsner' once I have mastered this for myself I will be a happy man indeed. Not interested in trying different things really... for now anyway, who knows what will happen in the future.

:D

here are some of my favourite commercial brews.

AUSTRALIAN

Melbourne Bitter - much better than its VB/CD cousins and oftem cheaper as well. often called red death, highly underrated in my books. good beer chilled to buggery on a hot day with mates playing backyard cricket.

James Boags Strongarm - much better balanced flavour than the premium, with a fuller body, one of my favourite sessional beers.

Coopers Pale/Sparkling - good commercial bottle conditioned beers.

Coopers Best Extra Stout - excellent hangover fix, and ages well. ill be buying a slab soon and 'forgetting' about it for the next 6-9 months.

Mountain Goat Hightail ale - one of the first microbrewed beers i ever tried and it got me hooked, and i still love it

Little Creatures Pale Ale - awesome hop aroma and flavour ( i love american hops). was lucky to be helping during the judging of the kegged beer at the 2004 beer awards and there were 6 kegs entered from memory. i tried a couple of glasses from each keg, the rest of the day was a blur.

Holgate Old pale/Macedon ale/Double Trouble/White ale - always manages to please me drinking a pint or 7 of holgates brew. especially the hand pumped beers at the bar. also managed to purchase a dozen bottles of his dubbel, Double Trouble, 8%abv.

James Squire Speculator - probably my favourite brew out of the james squire brewhouse in melbourne, when they have it on tap.

IMPORTS

Wheinhenstephan Dunkelheffeweissbeir - absolute stunner of a dunkel weiss.

Duvel - good belgian strong golden ale, 8.5% makes you a bit silly after a few.

Hoegarden wit - i can drink bucket loads of this on a hot day. i love the spicy flavour and just washes belgian mussels into my stomach so easily. and the glass is a ripper, i need a few in the collection.

any american pale or IPA, preferably from oregon - the home of cascade hops. high IBU with massive hop aroma and flavour and big malty character. i love these beers.

Rogue Old Crustacean - 120IBU barley wine. around 10%abv and a massive bitter kick that slams you after the sweet malty goodness. a definate sipping beer.

I've got nothing better to do then read old threads :p
My favorite of all time was my first APA turned IPA with cascade amarillo.
Commercial beer i just love a good old Amber ATM

Matti

Action Man certainly did well to be onto the Rogue Old Crustacean five years ago. It only started being imported to Aus last year.

I have a bottle in my fridge as we speak. It is readily available in Aus now thanks to Innspire.

I have a bottle in my fridge as we speak. It is readily available in Aus now thanks to Innspire.

And you were antsy about it downunder, go figure.

Your not South Australian via New Zealand north island by any chance?

What're you talking about? I'm a massive fan of all Rogue beers, and I can't wait to try the Old Crusty. I'm just impressed that Action Man was a fan of it 4 years before most Aussies had even heard of it. Keep ya knickers on.

Latest posts

Back