Style Of The Week 7/3/07 - Russian Imperial Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
depends on what you're after, Mardoo is a fan of the 1469 where Im more of a 1728 / 1275 and even greenbelt, (Just fermenting one with 1275 this now - effective 4L starter for a 1.135 OG and got down to 1.032-35 double dropped and thrashed like a red headed step child)

I'd tread carefully with Notto, you want to leave a goodly amount of body and notto is a hungry beast

The 1728 goes very well. Yob's was lovely. 1469 is great for dark beers that aren't too dry. I'm going to have a go at this with Burton Ale, which may be replacing 1469 in my heart. Horses for courses, but I myself would choose a "character" yeast over Notto.

the active starter was dropped into a 10lt wort, whisked as mentioned twice that night and the next morning (12 hours) another 10tl was added and it was all soundly thrashed again, the idea being that you are trying to keep the yeast in growth for the first 18 hours.

Worked pretty well too, dropped to terminal in 7 days from a 12 month frozen vial B) (not including starter time)

Aaahhh I see. I'm going to get the vic swap brew fermenting with 1335 British ale II slurry and was going to dump 20L of soon to be made RIS on the cake. Have you used that yeast before for a RIS? I'm just worried about the yeast floccing out early.
Can dig some 1275 out of the freezer instead and get it spinning. Thoughts?

I don't know the yeast man, the 1275 said medium body and up to %10 but must have gone over that based on the numbers (%12) so as long as you look after the starter and pitch, many things are possible..

Wy1335. Will finish dry it says, not sure if that's the best choice for a RIS but Hay, give it a go if you or even spin up the 1275 and split the batch to compare?

VP Brewing said:
Aaahhh I see. I'm going to get the vic swap brew fermenting with 1335 British ale II slurry and was going to dump 20L of soon to be made RIS on the cake. Have you used that yeast before for a RIS? I'm just worried about the yeast floccing out early.
Can dig some 1275 out of the freezer instead and get it spinning. Thoughts?
Don't use 1335 for a RIS - it just won't work. It's one of the strains used by Adnams & isn't known as a good attenuator.

Fark thanks guys. Glad I asked the question! Won't be brewing it for a few weeks. Used 1275 once and it crawled out of the fermenter. I've got my head around doing a reiterated mash on my system so now just need to get some ingredients.
Cheers legends.

I used Wyeast London Ale 1028 and was very happy with it...just to give that strain a justifiable shout out.

Great minds! Except I'm doing mine as a Baltic Porter, ie. Using lager yeast

Reman said:
Courage 1914 RIS as a Baltic Porter
Taken from http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/lets-brew-wednesday-1914-courage.html?m=1

Was a real SOB as it didn't fit in my pot and it leaked everywhere, the. Hauling out 10kg of wet grain was a new experience that sucked and caused more liquid to go everywhere. Finally got 18.5L repitched onto a Vienna Lager yeast cake, at 12c it had already started pumping out the sulfur 8 hours later.

Batch Size: 22.00 l Style: Baltic Porter (9C)
Boil Size: 26.66 l Style Guide: BJCP 2015
Color: 178.1 EBC Equipment: Pot 36L - BIAB
Bitterness: 63.1 IBUs Boil Time: 120 min
Est OG: 1.102 (24.0° P) Mash Profile: BIAB, Light Body
Est FG: 1.018 SG (4.7° P) Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
ABV: 11.2% Taste Rating: 30.0

Amount Name Type #
2.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60 min) Misc 1
2.00 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60 min) Misc 2
8.00 g Chalk (Mash 60 min) Misc 3
3.00 g Baking Soda (Mash 60 min) Misc 4
4.11 ml Phosphoric Acid (Mash 0 min) Misc 5
7.77 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC) Grain 6
1.92 kg Brown Malt (500.0 EBC) Grain 7
1.02 kg Carafa III (1034.2 EBC) Grain 8
105.4 g Fuggles [4.5%] - Boil 120 min Hops 9
74.4 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.0%] - Boil 30 min Hops 10
1 pkgs Bavarian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2206) Yeast 11
66.0 g Fuggles [4.5%] - Dry Hop 5 days

if you want the Russian Imperial here it is...approximately..

The precursor to the eventual RIS - 1937 - Older version but no the RIS - http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2007/11/courage-russian-imperial-stout.html

info on the RIS history - http://www.mpeterson.co.uk/irs.htm

Yet to find the real RIS recipe...Closest I could get was this.. http://www.beerinfinity.com/brewing-a-russian-imperial-stout/

The quoted recipe above is an Imperial Stout 1914 to be technical, not the RIS. the RIS only started in 1969.

Pretty sure there is a big difference between Imperial stout and Russian Imperial for the courage..Pretty sure the Russian had Brett in it.. it was 1st brewed in 1969 by Barclays. Prior to this it was a different recipe called Imperial Stout.

If you want to get down and dirty try finding this receipe..now thats OLD

1781 - Thrale's Intire

The 1st RIS ever made by records.

..just to confuse people a little..now for the comebacks from the crowd.

droid said:
I used Wyeast London Ale 1028 and was very happy with it...just to give that strain a justifiable shout out.
My first RIS, just made. I had every available yeast and this is the one I went with.

First taste and I am not disappointed.

There are definitely other yeasts that are great options. But 1028 was my choice this time.

Brewman_ said:
My first RIS, just made. I had every available yeast and this is the one I went with.

First taste and I am not disappointed.

There are definitely other yeasts that are great options. But 1028 was my choice this time.
Bottle swap!!

You know.. I don't think I have 1028 in the library off the top of my head...

I can feel a yeast buy up on the cards...

Imperial stouts head the list of beers I buy every now and then but never brew, because I can't imagine working through 20 litres of it even with help. Am I alone that way?

Back