Your favorite brews that fit no BJCP style

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankinoz

Reaction score
I suspect most old hands have made good brews that fit no BJCP style. Maybe a hop bomb lager, fragrant and bitey from loads of Citra, Nelson Sauvin and Simcoe—don't enter that one in a pilsner competition.

What was your recipe, in detail or in outline, and what did you like about the beer?

I'll start off with something I'm still drinking. It's a product of having odds and ends of milled malt on hand. It was a mostly mash, but I'll convert it into percentages and all grain.

Malts:
38% JW Vienna
17% Munich
18% pilsner
11% Dingemann aromatic
4% special B
4% cara-aroma
<1% carafa special II
7% home-caramelised DME

The mash part was done BIAB at 64, followed by dunk sparge.
75 minute boil
Hops: 4 g Magnum at -60, 56 g Mt Hood at -17 (in 23 L)
Yeast: Craftbrewer German Ale, which I suspect is the same strain as K-97. OG 1.048, FG 1.011

Started fermentation at 14. I raised it to 16 during the active phase and for a day to 18 after the air lock calmed down. Primed and bottled after 18 days in primary.

The low mash temperature and yeast choice were intended to keep sweetness from becoming cloying, and the strategy worked fairly well.

As expected, the flavour features malt, plenty of melanoidin and caramel. The malt aroma is strong, though less than expected. Hint of banana. Hop bitterness is moderate and predominantly minerally in character. The beer has cold-conditioned very well, improving steadily, so far for nine weeks after bottling and a week in bottle at @ 20.

The misfit:
SRM is about 28, in the low range for stout, but the roast flavour is too subdued. In addition, it's probably too dry for a sweet stout and too sweet for a dry stout, with hops that are little for an American stout.

Too dark and too caramelly for an altbier. Too dark for a brown ale, and those continental malts and heavy melanoidins are out of the style.

It tastes a bit Belgian, but is too low in alcohol to call it a Dubbel, let alone a Tripel. Maybe I'll dub it a Singel. In any event, I'll make something like it again.

And your favorite?

Midnight Train American Malt Liquor. Google Image it, should come up first off.

forty ounces of fury.

hungryLarge.jpg

Latest posts

Back