Fat Yak Changed My Life

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoidbergmerc

Reaction score
As is tradition for me every Tuesday when I'm forced to say at my GF's parents house I get 6 pack of a different beer. This week was Fat Yak, OMG it's amazing.

I did a quick search of the recipie DB but didn't find anything... HOW DO I MAKE MY PALE ALES TASTE THIS GOOD?!??!!

I'm guessing it's all in the hops, So I was thinking of making some coopers Pale Ale with 200g Crystal but what hops should I use?

Cascade early-ish and nelson sauvin late. Dunno how good they'll sit with that tin, though. Maybe boil it off a bit.

[EDIT: well, maybe not early-ish for the cascade but I'd let the NS in later]

+1 zoidbergmerc

tried this about 6 months ago in Penola, SA, and was completely blown away. had a few last night and same same. the hops in this brew are amazing. brilliant pallet.

would love an extract recipe if possible.

off topic, but has anyone tried that Red Angus (or similar)? got a 6'er from Uncle Dans a few weeks ago and was well impressed.

get rid of the kit and use 3kg of pale malt extract, not pre-hopped then you might get something close to it but not exactly fat yak.

I think I found this on AHB. I haven't made it yet so don't how good it is. If you can do kits you can do extract and your beers come out a lot better, you'll never look back.

View attachment FAT_YAK_CLONE.doc

Damn you and your Word documents! Now I have to install that too!!

I'll install word now and brew it tomorrow then report back here with my findings.

Yeah, I'm a fan too. It's the only decent beer on tap at the Espy in St. Kilda, where I often go to see decent live bands.

i suppose I'll try,

2KG pale Male
1KG Amber Malt
500g Dex

150g Crystal Malt

25g Cascade @ 60min
12g Nelson @20min
12g Cascade @ 20min
25g Nelson @ 0min

Suggestions? Comments? Ideas? Critique?

FAT YAK CLONE

1.5kg Blackrock Unhopped Light Malt Extract
1.5kg Blackrock Unhopped Amber Malt Extract
0.5kg Light Dry Malt Extract

100g Light Crystal 60
200g CaraPils

15g Cascade @ 60 min
10g Nelson Sauvin @ 60min
15g Cascade @ 20 min
10g Nelson Sauvin @ 20min
15g Cascade @ Flameout
10g Nelson Sauvin @ Flameout
15g Cascade Dry Hopped after primary

SAF US-05 Yeast

there ya go mate does that help.

Still a bit new Zoidy.

Can you break down your recipe for me (ie times, dates, ingredients etc) sorry.

Yeast! Yes I'll need that too......

My wild Guess wasn't too far off your clone recipe :p

What does pale Male mean? What is the total litreage? Yeast? Sorry, just keen to get one of these beautiful bad boys of my own going. almost tempted to rush down to the offie for a cheeky fat yak..!!!

What does pale Male mean? What is the total litreage? Yeast? Sorry, just keen to get one of these beautiful bad boys of my own going. almost tempted to rush down to the offie for a cheeky fat yak..!!!

See what you do is you find a white pasty nerdy guy from your work's IT dept. and you grind him up into a fine powder.

LOL best\worst speeeling error ever!

i really meant pale Malt and it's a 20L batch so even if it's poor quality it'll still get you quite pished.

LOL, very, very poor effort (still, a slight giggle).

Thanks for clearing that up. Am keen to know how this turns out. I'm putting down a Coopers 2 can on the weekend (earlier post).

I just finished my Coopers Pale Ale,

I got half the can and poured it into my stock pot with some boiling water and added:

12g D-Sazz @ 60 min,
12g D-Sazz @ 30 min and
12g D-Sazz @ 0 mins.

It was Ok.... Better than without the hops that's for sure.

Next time I'd maybe swap the 20min D-sazz for cascade hops.

Anyone got an AG recipe for this?

From what others have said, I';m thinking something like:

2.5kg Pale Ale
1kg Amber Malt
.1kg light crystal 60
.2kg Carapil

Then hop additions similar to what people have said here.

I would have thought that that would be a little much Amber Malt, but then again, I don't have much practice with formulating my own recipes to clone beer's.

Also, am I wrong in thinking that this is a CUB, or fosters owned beer?

edit: upped the Pale Ale by .5 kg to compensate for dry malt extract.

Yep - Matilda Bay Brewing is part of CUB group

Latest posts

Back