Fat Yak Changed My Life

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the back of some of the recent comments here, I went and bought a six pack of Yak. It had a relatively new production date, >2 months, so I was thinking it still should be pretty fresh....

This'll be the last time I waste any money on this beer. I poured it into a glass reasonably cold and there was little or no hop aroma. What was there was mixed in with a fair whiff of butterscotch. The taste was quite bland, and again more butterscotch. I let it warm a little, and it only got worse... very thin body, crap all hop flavour and the butterscotch was slowly turning into Werther's Original territory...

Man, if what I drank changed someone's life, it could only be for the worse.

Personally I love the beer. It's probably my fabourite at the moment and I've had it both in bottle and off tap. Both taste great IMO!

Found this extract recipe and will be trying it out soon:

Coopers liquid LME
400g Crystal
5g Cascade 7.8 AA% @ 45 minutes
10g Nelson Sauvin 11.5 AA% @ 45 minutes
15g Cascade 7.8 AA% @ 10 minutes
10g Nelson Sauvin 11.5 AA% @ 10 minutes
15g Cascade 7.8 AA% @ Flameout
15g Nelson Sauvin 11.5 AA% @ Flameout
20g Cascade 7.8 AA% Dry Hopping at Secondary
US-05 Yeast

Can't give you the link to where I found it as "fat yak" shows up with zero search results...... weird

It was on at Brissie Airport for a time... Bloody lovely! Both times I went.

Can imagine the bottled being a bit compromised round these parts!

On the back of some of the recent comments here, I went and bought a six pack of Yak. It had a relatively new production date, >2 months, so I was thinking it still should be pretty fresh....

This'll be the last time I waste any money on this beer. I poured it into a glass reasonably cold and there was little or no hop aroma. What was there was mixed in with a fair whiff of butterscotch. The taste was quite bland, and again more butterscotch. I let it warm a little, and it only got worse... very thin body, crap all hop flavour and the butterscotch was slowly turning into Werther's Original territory...

Man, if what I drank changed someone's life, it could only be for the worse.

I'd say you got a bad batch, while it's not a crazy APA, it does have decent hops in it. I suggest you contact the brewery.

Back