Family friendly pub that serves decent beer in Canberra.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mate - what was once the pinnacle of all music stores in Ozland is in Fyshwick. ProAudio - are you sure you cant make it for a visit. I did :super:

I remember fireworks in Fyshwick. Mainly something to do with a horrendous hangover and no public toilets to vomit in. Not me, but Mrs LB. I was in said music store and other non music related stores common to the area.

Canberra is bipolar. There is a lot of awesome stuff there but it also sucks so much. If that makes any sense.

Reviews and holiday snaps.

1st night, Brodbuger. As pointed out by Kodos, get in early or you'll be standing or dining al fresco. We were there by on 5.30. By 5.45, they were lined up into the dining room. 1 high chair available and half a dozen or so crafties ranging from a $7.50 Mountain Goat ale to an $11 Lefe.
$13.50 for a hamburger? You be the judge.

What I would recommend if you like to keep it casual is what we did on the second arvo. A trip to Fyshwick Fresh Food Markets. Its brilliant. Something for everyone. Vendors everywhere cooking stuff and offering samples impaled on tooth picks.
There's seating conveniently located directly outside Plonk where fortunately, they treat adults like adults and let you eat your food and drink your drinks un harassed.
Questacon was the most awesome according to me 3 1/2 year old son, with the War Memorial edging out the Zoo full of sleeping animals.

Yep, the ACT, it's got it all.

WP_20140906_005_zps343c92e0.jpg

I think I also made a new best friend.

WP_20140906_009_zpsda50f036.jpg

Yes, should have mentioned Brodburger isn't cheap, but I think the quality and size if the burger is worth it.

I'd understand if others disagree.

Some people wait for more than hour some nights. I don't think it's worth that wait.

Burgers are nice there. We usually phoned in and turned up or the wait can be terminal. Still, not a bad reason to get on munchies and drink beers.

Down in Canberra for the weekend. Is Bent Spoke the place to go? Any others?

lael said:
Down in Canberra for the weekend. Is Bent Spoke the place to go? Any others?
Bent Spoke Definitely.

The Wig and Pen has moved to new digs at the School of Music (about 2 minutes walk from the old spot), also well worth visiting

Wasn't that impressed with bentspoke, had a couple of good beers but a few I tried had some flaws. If you do go let us know what you think

BentSpoke is the new Wig & Pen in my books... and i spent MANY hours at the Wig. Also quite family friendly, they have a few high chairs and so we had a family lunch there with our little one (11mo at the time) and my olds.

Do they actually brew at bent spoke? If so, do they do brewery tours?

Unless the 1000L fermenters and mash tuns behind the bar are just for show...
No idea on the tours though. Richard didnt do much public stuff with the brewing side of the Wig.

Back