Extracting Sugars from Apples

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catcher

Reaction score
I have been given 30kg of apples and would love some advice on the best way to turn them into cider.

Should I juice them?

Should I blend them and do a mash like with our beers?

Or a combination of both?

Juice 'em!

Do a mash and I'd imagine you'd end up with a pulpy thickened sodden mess. Halfway to apple jam.

Just to clarify, the "mash" could be 90% water 10% apple, in an attempt to extract more sugars and flavour.

Not sure if it would be worth it

No.

Apple juice will have around 1040-1060 depending on the apples themselves. It will ferment right down to 1000 unless you do something to halt the fermentation. Adding water will just dilute. We mash malt to activate enzymes to convert starch to sugar.

In apples, the sugar is already there, the liquid is already there.

Cider = juice + yeast. Don't complicate it.

manticle said:
No.

Apple juice will have around 1040-1060 depending on the apples themselves. It will ferment right down to 1000 unless you do something to halt the fermentation. Adding water will just dilute. We mash malt to activate enzymes to convert starch to sugar.

In apples, the sugar is already there, the liquid is already there.

Cider = juice + yeast. Don't complicate it.
Fantastic. Makes complete sense

Thank you

Also found this interesting article

http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com.au/2008/09/appeltje-voor-de-dorst-apple-day.html?m=1

That link is gold.
I put "pressing" "straining" apples in the to hard basket. But now I'm keen to have a go.

There are two types of juice extractors that are pretty common one is a basket type where the pulp builds up inside the spinning basket and you have to stop and empty it every now and again, the other is the continuous type where the apples (or whatever) go in the top and the juice runs out one side and the pulp is thrown out the other.
Basket juicers are much better at extracting the juice, a bit more stuffing around but very efficient, if you want to get just a bit more of the juice out, just before you stop to empty the basket pour a glass of water down the apple in hole, it will travel through the pulp and rinse out a bit more juice - it might be a good idea to change your juice collecting container, so you end up with well first running's and sparge water in separate containers. measure gravity and taste to see if you want or need to blend them together.

Continuous juicers leave a lot more of the juice in the pulp, if you run the pulp back through the juicer you will get quite a lot more juice, you could even add a little water to the pulp before reprocessing it.

Making cider from scratch can be fun, I made a batch out of Fuji apples once that was pretty nice, stopped the ferment early to keep lots of that Fuji sweetness - shame its so hard to get real cider apples in Australia I would love to be able to play around with them.
Mark

Back