Extract Vs Hops N Barley

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ale_snail

Reaction score
hey again guys

just with these two things.. my brew came with like a syrupy extract and i was wondering wats the diff between this and the hops and other stuff you get barley n stuff you get in other packs..

and why you have to do all this boiling stuff..

can someone inform me.. thanks

hey again guys

just with these two things.. my brew came with like a syrupy extract and i was wondering wats the diff between this and the hops and other stuff you get barley n stuff you get in other packs..

"the boiling thing" as you so eloquently put as it relates to grains is called mashing, it involves allowing the enzymes in the malted grains to process the starches etc. into fermentable sugars, it is done at a certain temperature to keep tannins from being extracted from the grain, these basically make the brew taste shit.

the syrupy stuff that you have already has already been hopped, but because its more processed, not only do you not get as much control over the brew, its also not very fresh.

i suppose the boiling stuff as it relates to your (probably) extract based kit is for sanitization, to keep bacteria and whatnot from infecting your brew.

theres some pretty good references out there, i suggest how to brew by john palmer, the whole book is available online here

hey again guys

Hi Ale Snail,

i'll have a go at answering. I'm not sure what you mean about syrupy extract and hops and stuff but here goes. There are a few reasons for boiling. Extracting flavour, bitterness and aroma from hops,
extracting nasty proteins from malt and sanitising the wort.

There are quite a few variations on kits.
* Simplest is cans of hopped syruppy stuff (like the coopers kits at the supermarket)
All the boiling has been done for you and unpleasant proteins removed.
You just whack it in the fermenter with some brew enhancer and fill with water.

* You can vary kits by adding specialty grains (e.g. crystal malt). These have to be steeped at about 65C for about 20mins to
extract their malty goodness and then the extract has to be boiled for a short time to sanitise it.
And you can add hops. These are usually steeped or boiled with the grain extract to
extract their flavour, aroma, bitterness. Or they can just be whacked in the fermenter. They
are naturally antibacterial, so they don't have to be boiled.

* You can make beer from unhopped extract (syrupy) and add your own hops.
In this case you usually boil some of the extract for 1 hour adding hops at various times,
usually around about 60mins to go, 15mins to go and 0 mins to go to give bitterness, flavour and
aroma respectively. Then dump the rest of the extract in. Unhopped extract doesn't need to be
boiled.

* You can do a mini mash. Then you have syrupy extract (usually unhopped) as well as
"base malts" such as pale ale malt and usually some specialty grains as well. You "mash" (steep)
this at a constant 65-68C for about 1 hour. Enzymatic processes convert the starches in the
in the malt to fermentable sugars
and the extract (runnings) from this is boiled and hops added as described above.
You *must* boil this extract to remove nasty proteins (hot break) from it. Then add the syrup at
the end.

* And lastly you can just buy malt and hops, mash as described above, and boil the lot.

So there are three reasons to boil and two reasons to steep at about 65C.
Boiling sanitises the wort and removes and nasty proteins. Boiling extracts desirable compounds from the hops.
Steeping can be to extract fermentable sugar from crystal grains or the mash base malts to
convert starch to fermentable sugar.

check out "how to brew" for more info.

ok well

i just bottled my first brew last sunday.. and a few days before that i bottled a couple. cos i couldnt wait.. i had one today..

when i poored it it had nice colour and nice head... but just lacked flavour.. should i let it sit for a few more weeks? the one i tried had been in bottles for about 12 days

thanks in advance

ill put some pics up tomoro maybe

ok well

i just bottled my first brew last sunday.. and a few days before that i bottled a couple. cos i couldnt wait.. i had one today..

when i poored it it had nice colour and nice head... but just lacked flavour.. should i let it sit for a few more weeks? the one i tried had been in bottles for about 12 days

thanks in advance

ill put some pics up tomoro maybe

How long you age a beer depends on the type of beer.
A very hoppy beer like an american pale, you can start drinking after about 2 weeks.
But I usually age a sparkling for 1-2 months.
And the tripel I am bottling on monday will be aged for 3 months.

If lacks flavour but hasn't any nasty hash flavours then keep drinking but plan to do a different
recipe next time.
There has been a thread running about best K&K recipes. Pick something tasty from that.
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=15321

oh okie

thanks for that info..

um it was a pale ale.. malt extract thing and i added hops to it..

but i might leave it for a few weeks.. by state of origin 2 they should be very nice

*EDIT and for my next one.. the recipes look alright.. but i was thinking of taking the next step and doing a toucan and doing the whole boiling thing

*EDIT im gunna make one like this

Chocolate Porter

1 x tin Cascade Porter
1kg Dark DME
250gms cracked chocolate grain
15gms Fuggles
10gms Amarillo
US56 yeast

Add Tin to fermenter.
Steep grain in hot tap water for 25 mins in an insulated container.
Strain grain liquor into pot filled with 3L of hot water and add DME
Boil for 10 mins
Add boiled malt and liquor fermenter.
Throw all the hops in.
Top up to 20L
Hydrate and pitch yeast.
OG - 1060
FG - 1018

Back