Extract Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mercle

Reaction score
Hi,

I have decided to slap a beer together today with some extract stuff I have lying around the place. I thought I would experement too with some hops i also have from last seasons crop.

I am after peoples thoughts on this recipe. Despite it being called a pale ale, there will be no pale malt in it, so the name can easily be changed!

2KG Light Dry Extract
3KG Amber Liquid Extract
1.5KG Pilsner Liquid Extract
1.36kg Light Munich (~9SRM)
0.4kg Crystal (~72SRM)

31gm Chinook
30gm Amarillo
30gm Cascade
20gm Cluster
3gm Columbus
4gm Wuertumberg
2gm MtHood
2gm Halartauer
All for 30 mins

SRM is estimated at approx 11.2
IBU - 41.85
Alc is estimated to be approx 5.7%
OG - 1059
FG - 1015

Let me know what you think. I do understand that some of the hops will overpower the others, but I really just want to use them!

I also have another 1.5KG of pilsner extract, approx 350gm of Amerillo, approx 100gms of Cluster (Flowers), 35gm Saaz, 25gm Goldings, 25gm Fuggles, 25gm Hallertau (Mittelfruh) and 25GM Hersbrucker. I could also add some of this stuff too!

What size batch are you looking at doing? Seems like a lot of extract for a 23L batch. Use the Amarillo, Cascade & Chinook, I'd forget the rest, especially the 2-4g additions as they'll pretty much do nothing, but that's just IMO. Why all the hops at once? Yeast, US-05?

I'd forget the rest, especially the 2-4g additions as they'll pretty much do nothing, but that's just IMO.

I agree with your conclusion but what else is he gonna do with such small amounts? Bung them in anyway. Can't hurt.

(Obviously I'm assuming that this is all he has left of those varieties)

I just realised that is for a 44l batch, but that fermenter is currently in use!

I might wind it back a bit I think!!

Actually I may even rethink this one and try for an amber ale, juset due to current ingredients!

Maybe something like this-

23L Batch

2kg Amber Liquid Extract
1.5kg Light Drt Extract
200gm Munich Light
200gm Crystal

30gm Amerillo 30min
30gm Cluster 30min

SRM 11.4
IBU 37.2
OG 1058
FG 1015
Alc 5.6%

Yeast, well just what ever yeast is in the fridge! I have some from coopers and the malt shovel kits, so maybe one of the malt shovel ones I think!

I'm pretty much trying to use p all the odd bits I have, that is why the original recipe had such small amounts of some hops!

Next week I will be back to a full mash, most likely a Klsch!

Latest posts

Back